A man who was arrested in the fatal shooting of his girlfriend in Southeast Washington on Saturday had been released from prison last month after serving time for killing a man in 1999, according to court records.

Ronald Randolph Jr., 40, of Southeast Washington was charged this weekend with first-degree murder while armed in the death of Shameka Delephine Jones, 32. She was found dead about 8:15 a.m. Saturday in her apartment in the Woodberry Village complex in the 2200 block of Savannah Terrace SE, near Congress Heights.

An arrest affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court says Randolph called 911 on Saturday morning and told the operator, “I shot my girlfriend.” Police said the victim had been shot in the head while in bed and that a chrome revolver was found on the floor. Jones was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said in the affidavit that Randolph accused Jones of having an affair.

He told detectives that he had taken the gun from his closet the night before and held on to it through the night, while he was “thinking about everything,” the affidavit says. He confronted Jones in the morning and he shot her when she denied his accusation, the court document says.

Randolph was ordered detained during his initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Monday. A preliminary hearing is set for Aug. 25. One of Randolph’s relatives declined to comment Monday, and his attorney with the Public Defender Service did not respond to an interview request.

Randolph was released from prison June 22. He and another man, Phillip A. Stewart of Southeast Washington, were convicted in 2001 of kidnapping and first-degree murder while armed.

Police said they had abducted Carlos Thomas, of Fort Washington, Md., from a restaurant on Alabama Avenue in October 1999 and shot him four times in the head in an abandoned apartment building in Southeast Washington. Randolph was 22 at the time; Stewart was 21.

Authorities said in court documents that the victim and suspects were acquaintances embroiled in a dispute. The precise nature of the argument was never determined. Randolph’s attorney at the time, Gary Sidell, said witnesses gave varying accounts of a possible motive throughout the trial.

Stewart and Randolph were each sentenced to more than 40 years to life in prison. Both men appealed, calling into question testimony from a woman who said in court that a man had told her that he saw Randolph and Stewart kidnap the victim.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled the statement should not have been allowed into evidence and threw out Randolph’s conviction, saying there was little other evidence against him. The court let Stewart’s conviction stand, saying there was other overwhelming evidence of his guilt.

Prosecutors recharged Randolph, and in 2006, he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder while armed, court records show. He was sentenced to seven to 23 years in prison; he had been in jail since he was arrested in 1999.