A man arrested in last week’s shooting in the Third Street Tunnel in the District is said to have fired a single shot, striking the driver of a gold-colored SUV that had rear-ended his sedan, possibly leaving the victim paralyzed, according to new details in court filings.

Authorities identified the suspect as Daquan A. Brooks, 21, of no fixed address, and said he is charged with assault with intent to kill. Brooks’s first name is also written as Daquon in court documents. Police arrested Brooks on Monday evening.

In addition to charging him with the Third Street Tunnel shooting, police said Tuesday that they linked a bullet casing found during the investigation of the tunnel attack to an unrelated shooting that injured two people earlier this month in Northeast Washington. Brooks has been charged with assault with a dangerous weapon in that earlier case.

A Superior Court judge on Tuesday ordered Brooks detained until his next hearing, Sept. 4. His attorney with the Public Defender Service did not respond to an interview request.

The details outlined in an arrest affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court say the tunnel shooting appeared to stem from a traffic crash involving strangers on the busy commuter route of Interstate 395 on the afternoon of July 30.

Police said a sedan, now identified as a 2015 Nissan Sentra driven by Brooks, was rear-ended by the SUV in the northbound lanes at the exit for Massachusetts Avenue, a few blocks from Union Station in Northwest Washington.

A surveillance camera image shows a vehicle that police say was connected with the shooting Jujy 30, 2019, in the Third Street Tunnel in the District. (D.C. police photo)

In the affidavit, police said a female passenger in the Nissan got out and, while cursing, confronted the driver of the Explorer as he sat behind the wheel.

Court documents state the that woman thought the driver of the Explorer was trying to drive away.

Police said her male companion got out of the driver’s seat, walked up to the Explorer and shot the driver who still was in the vehicle as he and the woman exchanged words.

The pair of people from the Nissan got back into their car and drove off, police said.

The injured man was taken to a hospital. Court documents say he is “likely to be paralyzed.” His relatives have declined interview requests.

A police commander had initially said that the man had exited the vehicle before he was shot; police now say he was shot inside it.

Within hours, police published a picture of the Nissan’s damaged back end. Investigators said Tuesday that information from witnesses, surveillance video and other techniques led them to the Nissan, which authorities said is registered to the female passenger, who lives in Capitol Heights, in Prince George’s County, Md.

Police said the Nissan was parked at that address, with a car cover draped over the trunk.

Police said that while searching the residence, they found a bullet casing linked to a July 15 double shooting in the Benning Ridge neighborhood of Northeast Washington. In that case, police said, the victims, who were not seriously injured, were a woman and a man identified as the boyfriend of Brooks’s ex-girlfriend.

Police also had been seeking Brooks on two outstanding arrest warrants, one charging him with threatening his mother in April and another charging him with trying to hit his mother and threatening his sister in 2018. Those charges are pending.

Brooks pleaded guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon for slamming his mother’s head into a sink in 2017 and threatening to cut her with a knife, according to court documents, which also state that Brooks pointed a gun at her and told her, “I will shoot you,” then left.

A Superior Court judge sentenced Brooks to two years in prison but suspended the term, court files show.