A man who served more than a decade in prison for robbing banks and was freed in March was arrested Friday after D.C. police said he robbed or tried to rob several banks in Washington, three of them in a half-hour on Friday.

Timothy Louria Jennings Sr., 60, who lives in the District, was charged with two counts of attempted bank robbery and two counts of bank robbery, and was awaiting his initial appearance in court. Police said that in the all of the recent cases, he used a demand note and escaped in a 2003 champagne-colored Cadillac.

Police allege the suspect robbed a SunTrust on Monday in the 900 block of 17th Street NW at Farragut Square, and obtained an undetermined amount of money.

On Friday, police said the suspect at 9:15 a.m. robbed an M&T Bank in the 500 block of 12th Street NW, obtaining money, and then 15 minutes later attempted to rob a BB&T Bank in the 800 block of Connecticut Avenue NW. Police said no money was taken.

At 9:45 a.m., police said the suspect went to a Bank of America across the street in the 800 block of 17th Street NW, which they said he also tried to rob. Police said that he handed a teller a note but that the teller became confused and backed away from the counter.

A police report says that the man left without money and that a bystander copied down the license plate of the Cadillac seen being driven away. Hours later, police said they found the vehicle in the Michigan Park neighborhood of Northeast Washington and arrested Jennings.

In 2006, court records show, Jennings pleaded guilty to robbing three D.C. banks of $9,924 after handing tellers notes similar to one that read: “I have a gun and a bomb in my bag you have 30 seconds to hand over 20’s, 50’s, & 100’s only. No dye packs if so, you die!” He was sentenced to 12 years in prison, and prosecutors noted in the plea deal three other bank robberies they say he committed in Maryland.

Court documents state that Jennings had previously worked as a Metrobus driver and wore his uniform in some of the robberies in 2005 and 2006. The documents say he had been fired as a bus driver before the holdups but had kept his uniform.