The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Fire breaks out at homeless encampment in Georgetown

Damaged belongings are strewn about a small homeless encampment in Georgetown after a fire Monday.
Damaged belongings are strewn about a small homeless encampment in Georgetown after a fire Monday. (Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)
Comment

A tent at a small homeless encampment in Georgetown caught fire early Monday while two people were still inside. The D.C. fire department responded to the scene and quickly doused the blaze, officials said. No injuries were reported, but the couple who had been living inside the tent, just steps away from the Four Seasons Hotel, said many of their belongings — including shoes, clothes and a sleeping bag — were destroyed in the fire.

Risk of fires at homeless encampments tends to increase in the winter months, advocates warn, as residents may use stoves, grills and propane tanks to generate heat.

Loading...