Hurricane Sandy: Howard County tips and information

Three people in North Laurel were hospitalized early Tuesday morning after suffering from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials believe the incident was caused by improper use of a generator.

Howard County fire crews reported to a home in the 9700 block of Brevard Street in North Laurel around 4:45 a.m. after receiving reports of carbon monoxide poisoning.

One man and two women were taken to a local hospital. The man was in critical condition and the women were in serious condition, officials said.

Emergency crews found a generator inside the home that was running without proper ventilation.

For safety guidelines on using a generator during a power outage, see our how-to guide in English  and Spanish.