The Washington Post

A deer, a baby, a bank robber and a head-on bus crash — all in a morning’s work at Metro

Usually Metro’s daily problems include broken signals or doors, disabled trains and cracked rails. But Thursday evening and Friday morning, the rail and bus system experienced less-typical troubles.

It started about 5:30 p.m., during Thursday’s evening rush, when a pregnant 17-year-old went into labor aboard a Red Line train headed to Grosvenor-Strathmore.

She was on a train when her water broke, and medical personnel arrived to help her at Gallery Place. Passengers were off-loaded, and the teenager was taken to George Washington University Hospital.

She was reported to be fine and told hospital staff that she was expecting a boy.

Word of her labor quickly spread via social media outlets, and as passengers on another train arrived at Gallery Place on Thursday evening, some asked how she was doing and whether she had given birth. Trains were delayed 15 to 20 minutes.

About the same time Thursday, a Green Line train struck a deer that jumped on the tracks between the West Hyattsville and Prince George’s Plaza stations. Metro officials said the operator stopped the train and found no damage. The train, with passengers aboard, continued toward Greenbelt.

The deer died.

The run of unusual events continued Friday morning.

About 9:50 a.m., a stolen car hit a Metro bus head-on during a police chase that began in Prince George’s County, authorities said.

Prince George’s County police were pursuing the Nissan Maxima when it crashed into another car and the front of a Metro bus at the border between Prince George’s and Southeast Washington, authorities said. The bus was traveling along the P12 route at Southern Avenue and Wheeler Road in Southeast Washington.

At least three people — two of three suspects and the driver of the car that was struck — were taken to hospitals for treatment of injuries that did not appear life-threatening, authorities said. Metro officials said the bus operator also was injured

In another incident Friday morning, a bank robber tried a different escape route, the Metrorail system, authorities said.

About 10 a.m., the man, suspected of robbing a Wells Fargo bank branch on K Street NW, was reported to be on the Red Line. D.C. police called Metro Transit Police and asked them to hold a train at Dupont Circle, according to Metro chief spokesman Dan Stessel.

The suspect was arrested without incident aboard a Silver Spring-bound train that was held at the platform, Stessel said.

Peter Hermann contributed to this report.

Dana Hedgpeth is a Post reporter, working the early morning, reporting on traffic, crime and other local issues.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.