Jonathan Rogers remembered that the woman in the dark peacoat was just sitting.

As others in the hot, smoke-filled Metro car got agitated Monday, the woman was quiet.

“You wouldn’t have even noticed that anything was wrong,” he said. “She was kind of stoic.”

The woman was Carol I. Glover, 61, who lived in a little house in Alexandria, Va., where neighbors loved her.

She was dying.

A Metro passenger filmed the scene inside the stranded Metro car, in which people can be seen helping and comforting each other. A Yellow Line train abruptly stopped and filled with smoke in a tunnel in downtown Washington on Monday. (Saleh Damiger/YouTube)

As Rogers watched, she slid out of her seat, sank slowly to the floor, and got down on her hands and knees, he recalled.

“It wasn’t like she was demanding help,” Rogers said. “She was too short of breath.”

He kneeled next to her as other passengers rushed to help.

“I told her she was going to be okay, to stay calm,” he said Tuesday.

“She was kind of murmuring to herself,” he said. “When she got down on all fours, she kept saying to me, ‘Fan me,’ . . . and I tried to fan her.

“She kept saying, ‘I can’t, I can’t . . .,’ and then she laid down and she just wasn’t responding.”

Rogers said another passenger remarked, “I think she’s unconscious.”

Carol Glover (Courtesy of Glover family )

Someone else tried to take her pulse but couldn’t feel anything.

Glover, who was a senior business analyst at DKW Communications in Washington, was the sole fatality in the Metro calamity Monday near the L’Enfant Plaza station. Scores of others were hospitalized, but most had recovered or were recovering Tuesday, officials said.

Although Glover was among strangers, she was ministered to heroically by fellow passengers. They tried to keep her alive, and one man scooped her up and carried her like a baby to what may have looked like a safer area on the train.

While she was on the floor, the temperature in the car had risen significantly. Rogers said he and a few other passengers tried to get her coat off.

He and another man began administering CPR.

“He was doing the compressions and I was doing the breathing,” he said.

But it didn’t appear to make a difference.

“It was just like — it wasn’t helping,” Rogers said. “She wasn’t breathing.”

They knew they needed to get her help, but with the train operator insisting passengers stay on the train, “we couldn’t take her off.”

Rogers said they slowly moved the woman to a standing position. A big man came over to where they were standing.

“He scooped her up and cradled her in his arms,” Rogers said. The man walked toward the rear of the train.

“He went out of our car into the next one. I don’t know what happened after that. Nobody followed because they had told us to stay on the train.”

Officials said Glover was eventually taken off the train and rushed to George Washington University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 4:49 p.m.

Darryl Washington, DKW’s president and chief executive, said Glover received the company’s Employee of the Year for 2014. “Carol was warm, kind and a joy to be around,” he said. An aquaintance said Glover had worked at the company for about 18 months.

Glover “was always sending me encouraging texts on motherhood and life,” said Suzanne Glover, who is married to Glover’s younger son. “She was an example of humility and strength.”

On her street in Alexandria, neighbor Diana Rodriguez said she used to ride the bus with Glover. Both had sons who went to T.C. Williams High School together, and they talked about family and commuting.

“She was very devoted and loving to her sons,” Rodriguez said. “It’s just a terrible, awful, devastating loss.”

Rodriguez and Glover were two of the most established residents in their neighborhood of brick semi-detached homes and small wood-frame houses near Interstate 395 in western Alexandria. Glover has lived there for more than 15 years.

“I would have never have guessed she was 61,” Rodriguez said. “She looked fantastic.”

Her older son, whose name Rod­riguez didn’t know, had served in the military, and Marcus, the younger son, is about 30, Rodriguez said.

Another neighbor, Iris Tessimy, 92, said she can barely walk, “and if [Glover] sees me going to the drugstore, and she’s at home, she’ll come out and she’ll say, ‘Mom, let me drop you. ”

Meanwhile, officials at MedStar Washington Hospital Center said Tuesday that they had received 18 patients from the Metro incident Monday evening, 12 of whom were examined and released the same night and six of whom were admitted. All but two had been released by Tuesday night. A hospital spokesperson said one would be discharged Wednesday, and the other was in fair condition.

Jeffrey Shupp, director of the hospital’s burn center, predicted that most would recover within a week or two. “All of them seemed to have gotten out in time, and they are doing okay,” he said.

Of the 51 people who were taken to George Washington University Hospital, 45 had been released as of Tuesday night. Others were listed in fair condition.

Pamela Constable, Petula Dvorak, Peter Hermann, Martin Weil and Julie Zauzmer contributed to this report.