Two snowy owls captured near airport

Two snowy owls were captured this week near Martin State Airport in eastern Baltimore County, environmental officials said Friday.

A female snowy owl was captured Thursday evening just after sunset and a male was captured Friday morning. In late December, a snowy owl was captured and relocated from Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport.

The owls were examined by employees of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services program and personnel from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. The birds, which have been banded, will be relocated “well away” from the airport, officials said. The female owl will be outfitted with a transmitter to track its movements before it is released as part of Project SNOWstorm, a nationwide research effort to gather data on the largest appearance of snowy owls in southern latitudes in decades.

— Lori Aratani

State a defendant
in wrongful death suit

Relatives of a man with Down syndrome who died in the custody of three Frederick County sheriff’s deputies have added the state of Maryland to those allegedly liable for his death.

Attorney Joseph Espo said Friday that because the state is the deputies’ statutory employer, it has been added and Frederick County has been dropped from a federal lawsuit filed by survivors of Robert Ethan Saylor, 26.

The other defendants are the individual deputies, Regal Cinemas and Baltimore-based Hill Management Services.

The amended complaint was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court. The state has not filed a response.

Saylor, of New Market, died of asphyxia in January 2013 as the deputies, moonlighting as mall security officers, tried to remove him from a Frederick movie theater because he hadn’t bought a ticket.

— Associated Press

Police probe robbery in Annandale area

Fairfax County police are investigating a home-invasion robbery that occurred in the Annandale area Friday morning.

A 33-year-old man was awoken around 7 a.m. by two men in the bedroom of his home in the 7400 block of Madeira Place, police said. The men wore masks and hooded jackets, and one was armed with a handgun, police said.

The men restrained the victim and searched a different bedroom before fleeing, police said.

Police said it appeared that the intruders had forced their way into the home through the front door. The victim did not require medical attention, and other residents of the home did not hear the men break in, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477.

— Justin Jouvenal