Officer wounded in
accidental shooting

A U.S. Park Police officer was shot and wounded Wednesday morning while searching a house in Northwest Washington, according to authorities.

Police said in a statement that an officer’s firearm “was unintentionally discharged.” The incident occurred about 7 a.m. in the 4900 block of Kansas Avenue NW in Petworth.

The statement was not clear as to whether the injured officer accidentally shot himself or was struck from a bullet fired from another officer’s weapon. A department spokesman declined to elaborate on the statement, saying the investigation is continuing.

The wounded officer was taken to a hospital. Police said he was struck in the lower extremities. Other than describing him as stable, police did not provide a condition.

Sgt. James Dingeldein, the spokesman for the Park Police, said only that the search warrant stemmed from a previous investigation.

— Peter Hermann

Building next to
White House evacuated

The New Executive Office Building, next to the White House, was evacuated Wednesday morning on a report of a suspicious vehicle nearby, according to the U.S. Secret Service.

The incident started around 8 a.m. near the building, which is located on 17th Street NW, between Pennsylvania Avenue and H Street. Police closed part of 17th Street until the Secret Service cleared the vehicle around 9 a.m. Some parts of Pennsylvania Avenue and Lafayette Square were also closed to pedestrians.

At 9:22 a.m., the Secret Service said in a Twitter post that explosive experts had “cleared the suspicious vehicle.”

Man pleads guilty
in fatal shootings

A District man pleaded guilty Wednesday to two counts of second-degree murder while armed in the shootings of his two housemates two years ago at their rooming house in Northeast Washington.

David Bright, 31, pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court to fatally shooting Clifton Francis, 51, and David Watkins Jr., 45, who lived with Bright in the 500 block of 58th St. NE.

Prosecutors say Bright walked into the home Feb. 18, 2016, and fired at Francis. Bright then turned the gun on Watkins. Another roommate ran for safety.

9-1-1 texting on the way

Gov. Larry Hogan (R) announced plans Wednesday for a “text to 911” system that will allow residents to send emergency responders messages of up to 160 characters — but no photos or video.

The system is aimed at people who are deaf or hard of hearing, have a speech impediment or are in an emergency situation where it is easier to text than make a phone call.

More than 70 percent of all 911 calls come from cellphones, according to Federal Communications Commission data cited by the governor’s office. In 2015, the state started a pilot 911 texting program at the Maryland School for the Deaf in Frederick County.

The contract to install the technology statewide begins March 1, officials said. Counties may make it available to the public within three months.

— Justin Wm. Moyer

Man brandishing swords
is charged in Fairfax

A man in northern Virginia had two swords, police said, and officers had an electrical stun gun.

Officers in Fairfax County showed up about 8:40 p.m. Saturday on a street where authorities had been told that a man was yelling and knocking over trash cans, police said.

In the 3100 block of Sherwood Hall Lane, in the Alexandria section of the county, they found a man with “two Samurai-style swords,” the police said.

He began swinging them in the officers’ direction, according to a police account.

At first the officers tried to talk with the man, it did not defuse the situation, police said. Finally officers used the stun gun to get the man to drop the swords.

Police said Eric Perez, 19, of Alexandria was arrested. He was charged with brandishing swords, disorderly conduct and trespassing. He was given medical treatment, police said.

— Martin Weil