The Tuesday drawing of the $414 million Mega Millions lottery was the third largest in the jackpot’s history.
There were two tickets sold that matched all six of the winning numbers — one was purchased at a store called Lady’s Liquor, 6474 Crain Hwy. in La Plata, Md.; the other was sold at a Sunoco convenience store on Merritt Island, southeast of Orlando.
The winning numbers were 11, 19, 24, 33, 51 and the Mega Ball number was 7.
Maryland is one of six states where winners can remain anonymous in lottery drawings, but the managers at Lady’s Liquor said they think — and hope — the winner is one of their regular customers, whom they describe as mostly men who come in and play the lottery with some consistency.
Lottery officials encouraged the winner to immediately sign the winning ticket and put it in a safe place. They said it usually takes winners a few days to process that they’ve won and then seek legal and financial advice before they come in to claim their prize money.
The winner has 182 days to claim the prize.
In Tuesday’s jackpot, there is a $230.9 million cash option. The Maryland winner will take home about $76.4 million in the cash option, after taxes.
Here’s a look at the top Mega Millions winners in Maryland, ranked by payouts, including Wednesday’s winner:
1. $218.6 million in March 2012. The jackpot’s winners in Maryland included three people who worked in public education. They called themselves the “Three Amigos.”
2. $207 million in March 2014. Winning ticket sold at a liquor store in La Plata, Md. No winner has come forward at this time.
3. $189 million in October 2013 — an Anne Arundel County man. He came forward with his family in a publicity photo at Maryland lottery headquarters. They called themselves the “Lucky Family” and held up a sign that said “We are so blessed, excited, fortunate, happy!!”
4. $183 million in June 2013 — a Baltimore County woman.
5. $109 million in April 2004 — a Montgomery County couple.
And here’s a look at some of the largest Mega Millions jackpots ever and where the winning tickets were sold:
1. $656 million in March 2012 — Maryland, Illinois and Kansas.
2. $636 million in December 2013 — California and Georgia.
3. $414 million in March 2014 — Maryland and Florida.
4. $390 million in March 2007 — New Jersey and Georgia.
5. $380 million in January 2011 — Washington and Idaho.