Please Note

The Washington Post is providing this important information about the coronavirus for free. For more free coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter where all stories are free to read.

Covid-19 deaths in the United States will rise to more than 3,000 a day by June 1, with new confirmed cases surging to about 200,000 daily, a draft government report projects.

The predictions belie the projections made Sunday evening by President Trump, who said the U.S. could eventually suffer as many as 100,000 deaths. At 3,000 deaths per day and rising, the national total would quickly outstrip that number if the new report is correct.

Here are some significant developments:

Sign up for our coronavirus newsletter | Mapping the spread of the coronavirus: Across the U.S. | Worldwide | What you need to know about the virus | Are you a business owner or employee physically returning to work? We want to hear from you.

3:44 a.m.
Link copied
link

New York City will try using UV light to kill virus on subway

New York City will begin using ultraviolet light to disinfect a few of its subways and buses overnight, authorities said, in place of the bleach and chemical sprays normally used to clean its public transit.

Starting the week of May 11, the powerful lights will be installed at two rail yards and one bus depot in the city, which will rely on technology that emits special UVC rays to attempt to kill the coronavirus.

“We’re looking to see if UVs are more efficient and less expensive,” Sarah E. Feinberg, the interim chief of the New York City Transit Authority, said during a video news conference Monday.

Last month, President Trump touted ultraviolet light and disinfectant as possible treatments for coronavirus patients. He later said he was being sarcastic.

Although Trump’s comments generated a mix of ire and ridicule, a group of Columbia University scientists working with city officials have theorized that UVC rays may be effective in killing the virus.

UVC light, which is sometimes used to disinfect smartphones, works to disrupt virus DNA and prevent it from multiplying and spreading. Consisting of a shorter, more energetic wavelength of light, the rays can be harmful to humans if exposed directly.

There is no definitive proof it can destroy the coronavirus, but scientists say its evidence of killing similar viruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), is highly promising.

New York’s transit agency previously said it would be taking its 24/7 subway system out of commission for four hours overnight, from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., to disinfect train cars.

3:31 a.m.
Link copied
link

Correctional officers fear spreading virus to family members amid jail and prison outbreaks

Arnold Hudson Sr., a correctional officer at the D.C. jail, never worried about an inmate hurting him.

But it was the danger Hudson could not see that he thinks he brought home from the jail. In March, both he and his wife fell ill. Her coughing became so severe that she was rushed to a Washington emergency room and tested positive for the novel coronavirus. Diane Robin-Hudson was hospitalized for 10 days, an agonizing time for Hudson, who was not allowed to visit and could only get updates from harried nurses over the phone.

Nationwide, defense attorneys and other advocates have been pushing for the release of many inmates as they fear the spread of the virus in detention facilities. But corrections workers and their unions say more must be done to protect them as well.

Read more here.

2:38 a.m.
Link copied
link

NFL cancels international games for 2020, will announce full schedule Thursday

The NFL canceled its international games for the upcoming season, announcing Monday that it intends to play all of its games in the United States.

The league made the change as it continues to plan for the 2020 season amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. The NFL will release its regular season schedule Thursday night, the league announced Monday, as it continues conducting business mostly as usual.

The league said the international games won’t be held as planned “in order for the entire season to be played in NFL teams’ stadia under consistent protocols focused on the well-being of players, personnel and fans,” and added in its announcement that Commissioner Roger Goodell “made this decision after consultation with our clubs, national and local governments, the NFL Players Association, medical authorities and international stadium partners.”

Read more here.

2:16 a.m.
Link copied
link

Chris Christie pushes for reopening the country, says ‘there are going to be deaths’

Despite models showing daily covid-19 cases in the United States could accelerate soon, former New Jersey governor Chris Christie (R) on Monday said states need to continue loosening restrictions in order to save the economy.

As a guest on CNN anchor Dana Bash’s Daily DC podcast, Christie said: “We’re all looking for the perfect solution. … Of course, everyone wants to save every life they can, but the question is, toward what end, ultimately? Are there ways that we can … thread the middle here to allow that there are going to be deaths, and there are going to be deaths no matter what.”

Christie said that if health experts are left to make decisions, “we’ll be locked in our houses for another year.

“They don’t want us to be doing anything other than staying in our homes until there is a vaccine. I don’t think that’s reasonable.”

Christie emphasized he does not advocate for going back to normal routines. Rather he said, “if we can do things to keep people in the mode of wearing masks, of wearing gloves, of distancing where appropriate … we’ve got to let some of these folks get back to work, because if we don’t, we’re going to destroy the American way of life and these families, and it will be years and years before we recover.”

He also said those most vulnerable should take the strictest precautions.

In the United States, more than 68,000 deaths are tied to covid-19. A draft government report projects covid-19 cases will surge to about 200,000 per day by June 1 and the death toll to exceed 3,000 daily.

“I think we need to, not blow the whole thing open, not start having rock concerts and football games with full stadiums, but we have to start letting people get back to work,” Christie said. “The economic devastation is equally sad.”

2:02 a.m.
Link copied
link

Fauci shoots down the theory that coronavirus began in a Wuhan lab

Anthony Fauci, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert, reiterated again that it’s unlikely that the novel coronavirus originated in a Wuhan laboratory.

While President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have aggressively pointed the finger at China for the global pandemic, Fauci told National Geographic he thinks it’s more probable that the virus that has traveled the world came from natural evolution.

“If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats and what’s out there now, [the scientific evidence] is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated,” Fauci told the publication. “Everything about the stepwise evolution over time strongly indicates that [this virus] evolved in nature and then jumped species.”

Trump continued the claim that the virus came from a Wuhan lab during a Fox News town hall from the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, saying China “made a horrible mistake and didn’t want to admit” the origins of the virus.

Pompeo also said Sunday during an appearance on ABC’s “This Week" that there is “enormous evidence” backing the Wuhan laboratory theory circulated by conservative circles, but he added that he’s “not allowed” to share that proof.

In the National Geographic interview, Fauci also repeated his worries about a second wave of outbreaks following the summer months.

“Shame on us if we don’t have enough tests by the time this so-called return might occur in the fall and winter,” Fauci said. “I don’t think there’s a chance that this virus is just going to disappear. It’s going to be around, and if given the opportunity, it will resurge.”

1:34 a.m.
Link copied
link

U.S. pork production down 50%, Tyson says, despite Trump’s order to keep plants open

President Trump’s executive order last week requiring meat processing plants to stay open to ward off shortages may not be a cure-all for the food industry segment that has been hardest hit by coronavirus outbreaks.

On Monday morning, Tyson Foods said during an investor call that U.S. hog processing capacity had dropped by 50 percent.

The company has been severely affected. Three of Tyson’s six main U.S. processing facilities remain closed, and three others are operating at reduced capacity, the company said.

Read more here.

12:50 a.m.
Link copied
link

Interior secretary granted Trump an exception to hold Fox town hall inside Lincoln Memorial

When Trump sat inside the Lincoln Memorial for a Fox News Channel “virtual town hall” Sunday night, he was able to do so thanks to a move by Interior Secretary David Bernhardt to relax the rules governing the use of the restricted space.

In an order issued Friday, Bernhardt said that he was making the exception in light of “the extraordinary crisis that the American people have endured” during the coronavirus pandemic and the need for Trump “to address the Nation about an ongoing public-health crisis.”

The Fox town hall at the Lincoln Memorial would “allow the President and the Nation to use Lincoln’s powerful presence and the solemnity of the Memorial to reflect on and draw from our Nation’s better angels, and to remind all of us that we can knit our often-divided Nation together in a time of trial,” Bernhardt said in the order, news of which was first reported Monday by the New York Times.

Federal law restricts the use of the space inside the Lincoln Memorial “except for the official annual commemorative Lincoln birthday ceremony.” Bernhardt’s decision surprised some National Park Service officials, the Times reported. And some Democrats sharply criticized Trump for holding the virtual town hall inside a national memorial, noting that the president repeatedly took the opportunity during the event to hammer his political opponents as well as the media.

12:47 a.m.
Link copied
link

Trump praises governors pushing for quick reopenings — even as they ignore federal guidelines

Governors across the country are moving swiftly to reopen their states’ economies, despite failing to achieve benchmarks laid out by the White House for when social distancing restrictions could be eased to ensure the public’s safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

These governors’ biggest cheerleader is President Trump.

A slew of states — such as Texas, Indiana, Colorado and Florida — have pushed forward with relaxing social distancing guidelines even as the number of people testing positive in many states has increased in recent weeks and testing continues to lag. White House recommendations released last month encouraged states to wait to see a decline in cases over a two-week period, as well as to have robust testing in place for front-line workers before entering “Phase One” of a gradual comeback.

Read more here.

12:30 a.m.
Link copied
link

Colo. protester arrested after authorities find pipe bombs in his home

A northern Colorado man was arrested over the weekend after pipe bombs were found in his home, the Department of Justice announced Sunday.

Law enforcement officials searched the home of Bradley Bunn, 53, after he drew FBI attention for using social media to organize an armed protest at the state Capitol against the government-issued stay-at-home orders related to the novel coronavirus, ABC News reported.

Four pipe bombs were found in the home, and two one-pound containers of .308-caliber cartridge reloading gunpowder were found in the man’s vehicle, authorities said. The gunpowder can be used to make pipe bombs.

The bombs and gunpowder were taken to a gun range and disposed of by bomb technicians.

Bunn faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted of possessing the bombs.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) enacted a stay-at-home order on March 26 and eased some restrictions with a “safer-at-home” order on April 27.

12:13 a.m.
Link copied
link

A man wore a KKK hood into a grocery store after masks became required in San Diego County

Photos of a man wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood while shopping on Saturday prompted a harsh rebuke from leaders in San Diego County, and police said they’re looking into the matter.

The incident took place one day after health officials in the county ordered residents to wear face coverings in public to reduce the spread of covid-19. Tiam Tellez — one of several shoppers who photographed the man at a Vons supermarket in Santee, Calif., and posted the images on social media — wrote on Facebook that several store employees repeatedly told the man to remove the hood or leave.

Melissa Hill, a Vons representative, confirmed Tellez’s account and called the incident “alarming.” She said the customer ignored staff requests to remove the hood until he reached the checkout area. At that point, the man removed the hood, purchased his groceries and left, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Read more here.

11:56 p.m.
Link copied
link

Bahamas health minister resigns after arranging delivery of test swabs

The Bahamian health minister resigned Monday after admitting he broke protocol in arranging six permanent residents to deliver covid-19 medical supplies via a flight into a Nassau airport last week.

“My continued presence in the cabinet may serve as a distraction from our effort and hence I offer my resignation,” Dr. Duane Sands said in a letter to Prime Minister Hubert Minnis. “I accept responsibility. I acknowledge that I acted outside the scope of my authority in this matter.”

The unnamed donors delivered 2,500 test swabs, then were allowed to self-isolate at their homes. During the country’s lockdown, visitors are required to obtain a negative test for the coronavirus before being allowed entry, the (Bahamas) Tribune reported. Minnis said all individuals in the group were tested the day after they arrived and received negative results.

“My actions were guided by my great desire to obtain the much-needed testing swabs which are in short supply both here and internationally and which are key to our efforts to trace the spread of the coronavirus so as to better focus our responses,” Sands wrote. “I acted at all times in good faith.”

The Bahamas has reported 83 confirmed coronavirus cases and 11 covid-19 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

11:40 p.m.
Link copied
link

GOP congressman sues Michigan governor over stay-at-home order

LANSING, Mich. — A GOP congressman is suing Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D), arguing her handling of the pandemic runs afoul of the Constitution and accusing her of turning the state into an “autocracy.”

Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-Mich.), who represents a conservative swath of the state north of Detroit, filed the lawsuit in federal court in Grand Rapids. Mitchell also named Robert Gordon, the state’s director of health and human services, in the lawsuit.

Chris Meagher, a spokesman for Whitmer, said he would not comment on pending litigation.

Mitchell argued in the lawsuit that Whitmer had overblown the crisis and that she did not have the unilateral authority to shut down the state. And, his attorneys wrote, her orders have prevented the 63-year-old congressman from getting treatment for a painful knee condition.

“There is no question that infectious diseases are, unfortunately, a part of everyday life,” lawyers wrote in the lawsuit. “But Michiganders can and do take reasonable, private action to protect themselves from infection without the need to shutdown civil society.”

More than 4,000 people in Michigan have died of complications of coronavirus, with most of the deaths concentrated in the southeastern part of the state.

Whitmer’s national profile has risen during the pandemic, spurring speculation that former vice president Joe Biden may ask her to join his ticket. But she has also endured fierce criticism from President Trump, who has railed against her during briefings and on Twitter, and from Republican state lawmakers, who have laid the groundwork to sue her for extending the emergency declaration and lockdown orders. Thursday, hundreds of protesters — including members of a militia carrying long guns — streamed into the capitol to protest the lockdown orders.

11:20 p.m.
Link copied
link

U.S. covid-19 cases will reach 200,000 a day by June 1, government report predicts

A new government report projects covid-19 cases will surge to about 200,000 per day by June 1, a staggering jump that would be accompanied by more than 3,000 deaths each day.

The document predicts a sharp increase in cases and deaths beginning about May 14, according to a copy shared with The Washington Post.

The predictions belie the projections made Sunday evening by President Trump, who said the United States could eventually suffer as many as 100,000 deaths. At 3,000 deaths per day and rising, the national total would quickly outstrip that number.

11:19 p.m.
Link copied
link

White House bars task force testimony absent Meadows approval

The White House is barring members of its coronavirus task force from testifying on Capitol Hill this month without approval from chief of staff Mark Meadows — citing an “extraordinary” demand on the administration’s resources as it continues to address the pandemic.

That guidance applies to task force members as well as key deputies of such officials, according to a memo distributed to committee staff directors Monday afternoon and obtained by The Washington Post. Exceptions are allowed “only with the express approval” of Meadows.

Departments at the front lines of the pandemic response, such as Health and Human Services, Homeland Security and State, are limited to no more than four virus-related hearings this month, according to the memo, which says “the demands on agencies’ staff and resources are extraordinary in this current crisis.”

“Agencies must maximize their resources for COVID-19 response efforts and treat hearing requests accordingly,” the memo reads. “Given these competing demands in these unprecedented times, it is reasonable to expect that agencies will have to decline invitations to hearings to remain focused on implementing of COVID-19 response, including declining to participate in multiple hearings on the same or overlapping topics.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) responded to news of the memo in an interview on CNN on Monday night. She argued that the task force members spend more time on “the daily shows the president puts on” than on addressing the crisis.

“The fact that they said we’re too busy [being] on TV to come to the Capitol is, well, business as usual for them,” Pelosi said. “But it is not business that will be helpful to addressing this. … We must insist on the truth.”

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) also sharply criticized the memo, saying in a statement Monday night that Trump’s “failure to accept the truth and then his desire to hide it, is one of the chief reasons we are lagging behind so many other countries in beating this scourge.”

Last week, the White House blocked Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases official, from testifying before a panel in the Democratic-led House, saying that it would be “counterproductive” for him to do so amid the pandemic. But Fauci and other administration officials will still testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on May 12 for a hearing on testing after getting clearance from Meadows, a senior administration official said.