Confirmed cases have surpassed 4 million worldwide, with more than 279,000 deaths.
Here are some significant developments:
- Former president Barack Obama appeared to slam the Trump administration’s coronavirus response as an “absolute chaotic disaster” during a Friday night call, according to a recording obtained by Yahoo News and confirmed by an Obama representative.
- The FDA issued an emergency authorization of a new antigen test to rapidly detect the virus.
- Health officials are warning against Mother’s Day gatherings, including in a California city where a cluster of covid-19 cases has emerged among attendees of a recent birthday party.
- In the latest clash over coronavirus-related restrictions, Tesla on Saturday filed a lawsuit against the California county that has prohibited the electric car company from producing vehicles during the outbreak.
- Three children in New York have died of a mysterious inflammatory syndrome thought to be related to the coronavirus, officials said.
- Confronted with the worst jobs report since the Great Depression, the White House and congressional Democrats aren’t even talking to each other about what — if anything — to do about it.