"I think you’re probably going to be seeing a little bit more of me & my colleagues,” Fauci told CNN. “They realize we need to get some of this information out … Hopefully you’ll be seeing more of us.”
Here are some significant developments:
- More evidence has emerged on why covid-19 is so much worse than the flu. Researchers found evidence the coronavirus attacks the lining of blood vessels there, a critical difference from the lungs of people who died of the flu, according to a report published Thursday.
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) on Thursday further reopened the state, announcing that theaters, child-care facilities and summer camps can resume operations, as the cases there climb and hospitals say they are running out of intensive care beds.
- Experts warned that the push to reopen the United States could lead to a second wave of infections across parts of the South and Midwest.
- A severe and puzzling inflammatory syndrome linked to covid-19 previously seen only in children is also afflicting young adults, doctors say.
- President Trump visited a Ford manufacturing plant in Michigan, whose officials appealed to him to wear a mask in compliance with the governor’s order. Afterward, Trump told reporters he wore a mask for a bit of the tour. But he wasn’t wearing one when the cameras were on.
- A new study from Columbia University epidemiologists suggests that enacting social distancing measures a week earlier in the United States could have saved 36,000 lives.