Here are some significant developments:
- President Trump called on states to allow places of worship to open immediately and threatened to “override” any governors who do not comply with his demand. The CDC released guidelines for houses of worship on Friday.
- In the developing world, the coronavirus is killing far more young people. Fifteen percent of the dead in Brazil were younger than 50 — more than 10 times the percentage in Italy or Spain.
- A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received hydroxychloroquine — the antimalarial drug taken and promoted by Trump — had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.
- Federal prosecutors said a Georgia man lied to his employer about having covid-19, prompting the business to shut down for cleaning and sending several of his co-workers into quarantine, costing the business about $100,000.
- A new report in the New England Journal of Medicine shows that the coronavirus attacks the lining of blood vessels inside patients’ lungs, a key distinction making the virus far worse than the flu.
Sign up for our coronavirus newsletter | Mapping the spread of the coronavirus: Across the U.S. | Worldwide | How states are reopening | Have you been hospitalized for covid-19? Tell us whether you’ve gotten a bill.