Health officials warn that mass gatherings of any type could worsen the spread of the virus, as the 2020 election heats up and nationwide protests against racism and police brutality stretch into their third week.
Here are some significant developments:
- Washington state health officials warned Saturday that coronavirus transmission is increasing in the eastern part of the state. Benton, Franklin, Spokane and Yakima counties are of greatest concern and could see “increasingly explosive growth” in cases and deaths if the current rate of transmission continues.
- Giving the commencement address at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Trump used the ceremony as his backdrop to try to turn the page on his season of turmoil.
- Several new studies published this month support wearing masks to curb the transmission of the virus.
- Beijing’s biggest meat and vegetable market was shut down after the discovery of a cluster of coronavirus cases, raising the prospect of a second wave of infections.
- Brazil’s official coronavirus death toll overtook Britain to become the world’s second-worst hit country.
- Russia more than doubled its official death toll related to covid-19 for April, days after the World Health Organization raised questions about its numbers.