The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

A tiny Ohio town’s Black Lives Matter event was overrun by armed counterprotesters

A small Black Lives Matter event was overrun by some 700 counterprotesters in Bethel, Ohio, on June 14. (Video: Andrea Dennis via Storyful)

In what she called her longest Facebook post, Alicia Gee said she was preparing on a cheerful Sunday morning not for church but for a demonstration “long overdue in my little town.”

“A demonstration to show my neighbors there are people who care, to show my very monochromatic town that Black Lives Matter,” said Gee, a teacher who identified herself as a lifelong resident of the Cincinnati-area village of Bethel, Ohio — population roughly 2,800. It was a testament to the wide reach of the movement against racism and police brutality convulsing the country since George Floyd’s death in police custody triggered weeks of demonstrations that have swept from cities to suburbs and tiny Midwestern towns that haven’t seen protests in decades.

But the 80 or so expected demonstrators ended up dwarfed Sunday afternoon by some 700 counterprotesters — members of motorcycle gangs, “back the blue” groups and proponents of the Second Amendment, village officials said. Some carried rifles, a local news station reported, while others brought baseball bats and clubs. Police say they are investigating about 10 “incidents” from the clashes that followed, including one in which a demonstrator was punched in the head.

By Monday evening — after another tense day of faceoffs — Mayor Jay Noble had imposed a curfew while citing “the threat of continued and escalating violence,” and Gee had a new message. “It is not a time for any type of Black Lives Matter supporters to be in Bethel,” she said in a video posted to Facebook. “It’s not safe.”

“Our purpose was not to create division in our community, and right now, that division has been just exploded,” she said, urging the mayor to “stand up” and denounce the people who she said had flocked to Bethel not to exercise their First Amendment rights but to “incite fear and hatred.” In a video from Monday, the village police chief tells the tense crowd that he is “not for one side or another.”

By Tuesday night, Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown (D) had weighed in to condemn officers who “did nothing” about the punching. Viral video on Twitter showed a man with a bandanna — adorned with what appears to be part of the Confederate flag pattern — hitting a man from behind as a uniformed officer stands feet away. The officer looks over right after the punch.

“Sir, I just got punched right in the back of the head,” the man tells him. The discussion that follows is hard to hear, as men around begin yelling at the victim, and no one is immediately taken away.

“These officers’ inaction is shameful,” Sherrod tweeted. “This is why need the Justice in Policing Act — to hold police accountable.”

Village Administrator Travis Dotson said there will be an independent inquiry into the punching incident and the actions of the officer who stood nearby. The victim was not badly hurt and has declined to press charges, he said. Officials said in a statement that those involved in the “incidents” under investigation were “removed from the scene.”

Dotson also said village leaders are dismayed people feel Bethel isn’t safe for protesters, adding the council wants to schedule a meeting and address Gee’s concerns. He said he was not aware of more violence Monday, when crowds had shrunk to 100 or 150 people, but he noted there were arrests — for what, he was not sure.

Armed white residents lined Idaho streets amid ‘antifa’ protest fears. The leftist incursion was an online myth.

No one was arrested Sunday because police were overwhelmed to the point they had to focus on maintaining order and safety, he said. On Monday, more law enforcement officers from multiple agencies were there to help.

“It was a local group. It wasn’t an outside influencer coming to the village,” Dotson said of the original demonstrators. Many of the counterprotesters, on the other hand, were from out of the town, some with out-of-state license plates on their motorcycles, he said.

“We certainly support her rights,” Dotson said of Gee.

Noble did not immediately respond to inquiries, and police referred all questions to his office Tuesday.

Gee has told the Cincinnati Enquirer that she did not think of Sunday’s gathering as a protest — the Facebook event was called “Bethel’s Solidarity with Black Lives Demonstration.”

“I guess in my mind, we only think about protests happening in the city,” she told the Enquirer. “I’ve always gone to cities to protest. And then to see that something was happening in Hazard — I was like, if Hazard, Kentucky, can have a protest, Bethel can have something.”

But she wrote on social media that she was driven to the streets by the deaths that have rallied people around the country to protest police violence against black Americans.

“The events of the last few weeks [have] made it perfectly clear to me it’s time for my comfort to be put by the wayside, it is time for me to use my body, my voice, and my [privilege] to show my town that it is not ‘fine,’ that it’s not just ‘city folks’ that have the right to peacefully assemble, and that Black Lives Matter even if there are just a few in our town,” she wrote.

By 2 p.m., an hour before the demonstration was set to begin, the bikers had started to arrive, the village of Bethel said in a statement. Soon, the statement said, about 250 motorcycles had taken up the space intended for the Black Lives Matter event, pushing those demonstrators two blocks away.

By 3 p.m., authorities estimated there were as many as 800 people in the area.

All six of Bethel’s police officers were on duty at the demonstration Sunday, according to village officials. Some county deputies were scheduled to help, but most were pulled away on an urgent call at the last minute, they said. Those who remained were stretched thin by violence initiated by the counterprotesters, mostly shoving, Dotson said.

One video, which the poster said showed his “niece getting pummeled by bikers,” captured an altercation in the crowd amid chants of “Blue lives matter!” and “All lives matter!”

“This ain’t Seattle!” a man yells in another video. “We’re not in a Democratic state here!”

Bethel resident Abbi Remers wrote on Facebook that her brother was “suckerpunched from behind.”

“Counterprotesters started walking down on the other side of the street from uptown, yelling obscenities and threatening us … ripping signs out of our hands, ripping the hats and masks off of our faces, ripping things out of our pockets,” she wrote, above a photo of a man’s bloody face.

The situation threatened to escalate Monday. In a video posted that day by Fox 19, Bethel Police Chief Steve Teague said authorities received images in the morning of social media posts “with some guns and things saying, ‘We’re going to Bethel; we’ll take care of what they didn’t take care of yesterday.’ ” But rumors of people being bused in turned out to be false, Fox 19 said.

“If you’d asked me a week ago if any of this was going to come to Bethel, I would have said never,” Teague said. “And I still am kind of in shock of it being here.”

Video from Fox 19 captured him speaking to the crowd.

“All lives are important, okay?” the chief said.

“Yes!” some responded. There was clapping.

“I’m not saying I’m for one side or another, okay?” Teague said.

The mayor of Bethel responded to the chaos with a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew order Monday, and by Dotson’s account, people complied.

Posted by Abbi Remers on Sunday, June 14, 2020

Dotson said he is confident authorities had the scene well protected Monday. But for people who were trying to make a statement about racial justice Sunday, fears linger.

“Our purpose was to show our community that it cares, that it loves the people within our community,” Gee said. “And right now that cannot happen.”

Read more:

Members of armed civilian group arrested, suspected gunman identified after man is shot at Albuquerque protest