The rally came on a day when Oklahoma reported 331 new coronavirus infections and the country tallied 32,477 new confirmed cases, according to tracking by The Washington Post. Eight states reported their highest single-day case totals since the pandemic began. Across the nation, eight states have also seen a 10-percent or higher change in hospitalizations since Memorial Day.
Here are some significant developments:
- For the second time this week, Texas surpassed 4,000 new daily coronavirus cases as the pandemic continues to sweep through the state amid its reopening. On Saturday, the state reported its highest single-day increase, with 4,430 confirmed cases. Florida also surpassed 4,000 new cases reported in a single day, with 4,049 new infections.
- Six members of Trump’s campaign advance team for his Tulsa rally tested positive for the novel coronavirus, according to a statement from the president’s campaign. “Quarantine procedures” were implemented immediately, the statement added.
- An experimental vaccine by Oxford University has turned into the West’s best — and perhaps only — chance to have a viable vaccine before the end of the year.
- Pope Francis thanked doctors and nurses from Italy’s hardest hit region for their work Saturday in one of his first speeches to an in-person audience since the pandemic lockdowns.
- The National Institutes of Health said it halted a clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine for treating coronavirus patients, saying it “provides no benefit."
- Face mask requirements are taking hold across the country as states throughout the South and West continue to report record highs in new daily coronavirus cases.