The numbers come as officials across the country moved to slow their reopenings, with beaches in Florida’s Miami-Dade County set to close over the Fourth of July weekend and Washington state pausing the progression of several counties that were on track to enter the fourth and final phase of reopening.
Facing a surge of new coronavirus cases, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) expressed regret for allowing bars to reopen so early, saying Friday that he did not realize how fast the virus would spread.
Here are some significant developments:
- Vice President Pence postponed planned campaign events in Arizona and Florida next week “out of an abundance of caution” amid spikes in coronavirus cases in those states, a Trump-Pence reelection campaign official said Saturday.
- A federal judge in California on Friday cited coronavirus outbreaks when ordering the release of migrant children being held with their parents at the country’s three family detention facilities.
- An Oklahoma journalist who covered President Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa last week said he tested positive for the coronavirus.
- Europe is preparing to reopen to foreign travelers, but Americans don’t even figure into the discussion.
- The surge of infections happening in several states is a “disturbing trend” that complicates locating the source of an outbreak, Anthony S. Fauci, the top U.S. infectious-disease expert, said Friday.