Here are some significant developments:
- Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said during a speech that President Trump “failed” Americans in his response to the coronavirus pandemic. “It didn’t have to be this way,” the former vice president said. “Donald Trump failed us."
- Anthony S. Fauci warned lawmakers Tuesday that there may be as many as 100,000 new cases per day, 2.5 times the present record rate of infections, if the U.S. continues on its current trajectory. When asked what the overall American death toll might be, Fauci said: “I can’t make an accurate prediction, but it is going to be very disturbing.”
- States are closing back down and workers are getting laid off for a second time. Millions of Americans are suffering from economic whiplash, thinking they were finally returning to work only to be sent home again as cases spike.
- A growing chorus of Republican leaders now say everyone should wear a mask, even as Trump shirks their use. Economists published an analysis suggesting that nearly 5 percent of gross domestic product could be preserved and further painful shutdowns averted if the U.S. implements a nationwide mask mandate.
- Gyms and fitness centers across Arizona are defying Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s shutdown guidelines and pledging to stay open as the number of coronavirus cases in the state continues to rise.
- While the U.S. wrestles with safely reopening, the European Union confirmed Americans will not be allowed to travel to the bloc of 27 countries when it reopens to some foreign travel Wednesday.