Here are some significant developments:
- Eleven states and Puerto Rico hit new highs in their seven-day rolling average of new cases on Monday, according to data tracked by The Washington Post. Seven states posted new highs for current covid-19 hospitalizations.
- The federal Student and Exchange Visitor Program announced it would not issue visas to students who are in programs that are fully online this fall, “nor will U.S. Customs and Border Protection permit these students to enter the United States.”
- Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro said Monday he is waiting for a coronavirus test result after taking a lung scan, which he said was clean. CNN Brazil reports Bolsonaro has symptoms of covid-19, including a 100-degree fever.
- Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) is the first congressional Republican to say he will not attend next month’s Republican National Convention due to the coronavirus.
- A Maryland restaurant has closed after saying on Facebook that its employees would not wear face masks while serving patrons.
- More than 200 scientists from dozens of countries are urging the World Health Organization to take the possibility of airborne transmission of the coronavirus more seriously. Nearly 11.5 million cases have been reported worldwide.