Seven more of the largest brick-and-mortar retailers in the U.S. announced similar policies within two days: Kroger, CVS Health, Walgreens, Target, Albertsons Companies (which owns Safeway, Tom Thumb, and Acme, among other brands). Lowe’s and Home Depot both announced mask requirements Friday.
Here are some significant developments:
- The number of new infections reported each day is reaching dizzying new heights. On Friday, the daily U.S. caseload topped 75,000, according to data tracked by The Washington Post.
- Covid-19 deaths in the United States have begun to rise again. In some of the worst-hit states, especially across the South and the West, new death records are being set daily. Public health specialists say the numbers are almost certain to continue to climb.
- The character assault by some top White House advisers on Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious-disease expert, has produced a chilling effect among the government scientists and public health professionals laboring to end the pandemic.
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Friday announced new guidelines that will bar schools in 32 hot-spot counties from reopening in the fall unless they meet strict standards for preventing the spread of the coronavirus. Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) said Friday the state’s schools must resume in-person instruction.
- Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms (D) blasted Georgia’s Republican governor, Brian Kemp (R), for suing to stop block her city’s mask ordinance, accusing him of “putting politics over people.”
- An unpublished report from the White House Coronavirus Task Force suggests that nearly 20 hard-hit states should enact tougher public health measures.
- President Trump faces rising disapproval and widespread distrust on coronavirus, according to a new Post-ABC poll.
Sign up for our coronavirus newsletter | Mapping the spread of the coronavirus: Across the U.S. | Worldwide | Where states reopened and cases spiked | Has someone close to you died of covid-19? Share your story with The Washington Post.