Here are some significant developments:
- On Thursday the CDC released several new documents that emphasize the benefits of school, in line with President Trump’s messaging. Some of the guidance was written by White House officials rather than experts at the CDC, people familiar with the process said.
- Trump made a surprise announcement Thursday that he has canceled the Republican national convention scheduled for next month in Jacksonville, Fla., saying he wanted to keep his supporters safe from the coronavirus pandemic and protesters.
- A Marine assigned to the helicopter squadron in which the president and other top government leaders travel has tested positive for coronavirus, officials say. But they also say “the infected Marine was never in direct contact with the president’s helicopter, Marine One.”
- The White House and Senate Republicans on Thursday failed to reach agreement on a broad coronavirus legislative package to offer Democrats as part of negotiations, stumbling over numerous provisions.
- As Trump has heaped blame on China for a pandemic that has killed more than 141,000 Americans, his aides are moving to expand on his rhetorical blasts and marshal a broader campaign to punish Beijing on a host of unrelated issues.
- Major League Baseball begins its pandemic-shortened season Thursday, although there are questions about whether the sport can make it through October without having to abort.