A grand jury in Jefferson County, Ky., has indicted a former Louisville police detective on three charges of wanton endangerment in the first degree in the March 13 shooting that resulted in the death of 26-year-old Breonna Taylor. Brett Hankison, one of three officers involved, was fired by the department in June, with a termination letter saying he “wantonly and blindly” shot 10 times into Taylor’s apartment. He is accused of endangering lives in a neighboring unit after firing the rounds.

Taylor’s name became a rallying cry for policing overhauls and racial justice as the Black Lives Matter movement swept the United States this summer.

On Wednesday evening, two officers were shot following the indictment, and a suspect is in custody, authorities said. The shooting occurred about 8:30 p.m. as officers responded to shots fired in a large crowd. One officer is alert, said the interim police chief, while another is undergoing surgery.

Here are some significant developments:

  • The grand jury did not announce indictments against the other officers involved in Taylor’s death. Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R), facing the toughest moment yet in his fledgling political career, said he did not anticipate charges in the future.
  • Ben Crump, one of the attorneys for Taylor’s family, excoriated the grand jury’s decision Wednesday, saying, “This is outrageous and offensive!”
  • Cameron said the state’s investigation determined the officers who shot Taylor were “justified” because they had been fired upon first, by Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend. Walker has sued Louisville police and disputed their version of events.
  • Cameron said the investigation uncovered one witness who heard the detectives identify themselves, disputing earlier reports that a “no-knock” warrant was being served. However, Taylor family attorneys have disputed this, and police were not wearing body cameras.
  • Legal experts said Hankison will probably seek to demonstrate that he did not act recklessly — and may argue that, in fact, he was trying to save the lives of his colleagues.
  • As protesters have converged in downtown Louisville, activists across the country announced plans for emergency marches in the aftermath of the grand jury decision.
  • Louisville was under a 9 p.m. curfew. National Guard units were reporting to the city, while the interim police chief pledged to protect the public “while also ensuring the constitutional right for people to express their feelings in a lawful and peaceful manner.”