Democracy Dies in Darkness
Chani Nir's family were among the first ones out of the Miami-Dade condo building after it collapsed on June 24. She feels lucky to be alive. (Video: James Cornsilk, Drea Cornejo/The Washington Post)

99 unaccounted for in Florida condo collapse as search effort continues

8 min

Friday’s updates: Florida condo collapse

SURFSIDE, Fla. — Early Thursday, in a terrifying instant, a large section of a high-rise condo collapsed in South Florida, shearing off part of the building and leaving at least one person dead and 10 injured, with scores more missing and an urgent question: How did this happen?  
Skip to end of carousel
Officials said the search effort would continue overnight.
President Biden approved an emergency declaration, opening the door for FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security to coordinate relief efforts.
Relatives and friends gathered on nearby streets and frantically combed social media, desperate for any word about their loved ones.
Fifty-five of the more than 130 units in the building were destroyed.
Constructed on reclaimed wetlands in 1981, Champlain Towers South had been sinking since the 1990s, according to a 2020 study.
A video timeline of how the Miami-Dade condo collapsed.
End of carousel
Skip to end of carousel
Officials said the search effort would continue overnight.
President Biden approved an emergency declaration, opening the door for FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security to coordinate relief efforts.
Relatives and friends gathered on nearby streets and frantically combed social media, desperate for any word about their loved ones.
Fifty-five of the more than 130 units in the building were destroyed.
Constructed on reclaimed wetlands in 1981, Champlain Towers South had been sinking since the 1990s, according to a 2020 study.
A video timeline of how the Miami-Dade condo collapsed.
End of carousel

Live coverage contributors