A 9-year-old boy crushed during a crowd surge at the Astroworld Festival in Houston died Sunday, bringing the death toll from the catastrophic concert to 10.
He was taken to a hospital and placed in a medically induced coma on life support, suffering from significant trauma in his brain, liver and kidney. He died Sunday, according to a statement released by the family’s attorneys, becoming the youngest person to die from injuries sustained at the festival.
“The Blount family tonight is grieving the ultimate, incomprehensible loss of their precious young son,” personal injury lawyer Ben Crump and co-counsels Alex and Bob Hilliard and Paul Grinke said in a joint statement. “This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking.”
Crump is representing the family in a complaint filed last week in Harris County district court. The lawsuit, part of a mounting legal fallout, named defendants including Scott, his record label Cactus Jack, national promoter Live Nation Entertainment, Texas-based organizer ScoreMore and security companies hired for the Astroworld Festival.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner (D) said on Twitter that he was “saddened to learn of Ezra’s death this evening.”
“Our city tonight prays for his mom, dad, grandparents, other family members and classmates at this time. They will need all of our support in the months and years to come,” he wrote. “May God give them strength. RIP Ezra.”
I am saddened to learn of Ezra’s death this evening. Our city tonight prays for his mom, dad, grandparents, other family members and classmates at this time. They will need all of our support in the months and years to come. May God give them strength. RIP Ezra. st #AstroWorld pic.twitter.com/Ankq7FMa3l— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) November 15, 2021
Authorities have opened a criminal investigation into how the crowd surge occurred. The boy was among at least 25 fans who were hospitalized when the crowd suddenly pressed toward the stage where Scott was performing.
Live Nation, the national promoter, has previously said it is assisting authorities in their investigation so that fans and their families can “get the answers they want and deserve.” A representative for Scott and Cactus Jack declined to comment on the lawsuit last week. Scott said on Twitter shortly after the concert that he was “devastated” by what took place, and promised the police department his “total support.”
“We are committed to seeking answers and justice for the Blount family,” the attorneys for the family said Sunday. “But tonight we stand in solidarity with the family, in grief, and in prayer.”
The boy’s father and grandmother couldn’t immediately be reached for comment late Sunday.
In an interview with ABC13 last week, the boy’s father spoke tearfully about how traumatic it was to see his son in that condition, after what was meant to be a father-son bonding experience: “I’m not ready to lose my boy at all.”
The elementary school student traveled from his home in Dallas to attend the event with his dad, his grandfather Bernon Blount told local television station KTRK last week. The station was the first to report that the child was among the injured. Describing Ezra as “a baby,” he said he was “just going to a concert to have a good time with his father.” The rapper was one of his favorite artists.
Complete coverage: 10 dead in crowd surge at Astroworld Festival
A crowded music festival in Houston turned deadly on Nov. 5 when a crush of concertgoers surged toward the stage where rapper Travis Scott was performing. Ten people have died.
The crowd surge victims include a 14-year-old who loved baseball, two friends celebrating a 21st birthday and a 27-year-old attending the concert with his fiancee. Here’s what we know about the victims.
At least seven of the 10 dead were clustered in a small area enclosed on three sides by metal barriers that became dangerously crowded.
A criminal investigation is underway in Houston as law enforcement officials seek to understand how the deaths occurred.
Travis Scott’s concerts are known for their wild energy and the Astroworld Festival, launched in 2018, has become his signature event. Scott’s partner Kylie Jenner said early Sunday that he was unaware “of any fatalities until the news came out after the show.”