The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Alex Jones said he was too sick for a deposition — then taped his show

In this April 17, 2017, photo, Infowars host Alex Jones arrives at the Travis County Courthouse in Austin. (Tamir Kalifa/Austin American-Statesman via AP, File)

Alex Jones’s lawyers told a judge on Tuesday that the Infowars founder was too sick to answer questions under oath at his court-ordered deposition the next day.

Their arguments were similar to those they had made the day before in a written motion requesting a postponement in the court case in which relatives of those killed in the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School sued him for calling the massacre a “giant hoax.” A delay was necessary, they said, because a doctor “remains firm in his initial recommendation that Mr. Jones neither attend a deposition nor return to work” since he “stands at serious risk of harm.”

But Jones was at work right around the time they were making those very arguments to the judge, they later conceded. Specifically, he was at his recording studio in Austin in the middle of broadcasting four hours of “The Alex Jones Show.” Just as his lawyers were about to argue he was too sick to testify, Jones warned listeners that a cabal of global elites plan to start a nuclear war or otherwise trigger a global crisis in the coming months to cover up massive financial crimes they’ve committed over the decades.

Connecticut state Judge Barbara Bellis denied the motion for a postponement. But Jones didn’t show for the deposition scheduled Wednesday. Bellis has now ordered Jones to appear Thursday to give sworn testimony. Opposing lawyers requested the judge issue a warrant for Jones’s arrest if he fails to show again.

Jones’s lawyers and Infowars did not respond Wednesday night to a request for comment from The Washington Post.

Jones is being sued by multiple families whose relatives died in the mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. For years, Sandy Hook families have said Jones was grifting off claims that the shooting — in which 20 children and six school staffers were killed — was a “false flag” operation staged by “crisis actors.” During a 2019 deposition, he renounced those statements and admitted the shooting had happened, blaming his previous false claims on “a form of psychosis.”

“I talk four hours a day, and I can’t remember what I talked about sometimes a week ago,” Jones said during that deposition.

Alex Jones must pay damages to Sandy Hook families in another defamation case, judge rules

In 2018, several of them sued Jones for defamation in Texas and Connecticut. In November, after years of litigation, Judge Bellis ruled that Jones was liable by default in the Connecticut case after he and his companies refused to obey court orders to provide financial records and other documents, The Post reported.

Bellis said Jones and his companies engaged in “a pattern of obstructive conduct” that thwarted the normal court process and prevented the Sandy Hook families from pursing their case.

After the judge ruled against Jones, the case moved to a phase in which a jury will eventually decide how much Jones will have to pay in damages, which is why the deposition is still necessary.

Attorneys representing several Sandy Hook families said in filings that Jones was supposed to be deposed late last year, but the proceeding had been delayed several times. During a deposition, lawyers for the families would have the opportunity to ask Jones questions on the record under oath. His answers might later be used in a trial if the case doesn’t come to a settlement.

In requesting another postponement, one of Jones’s lawyers, Norman Pattis, said in a court filing Monday that he had received a phone call earlier that day about his client’s health. The caller, whom Pattis didn’t identify in his motion, told him that Jones was being cared for by a doctor for “medical conditions that require immediate, and possibly, emergency testing.” Pattis told the court he then spoke with someone claiming to be that doctor, who recommended Jones not go through with the deposition.

Jones asked his lawyer not to disclose his medical conditions or the identity of the doctor caring for him in the court record, Pattis said. His attorneys submitted earlier this week to the judge a letter that was supposedly from the doctor.

It didn’t sway her. In denying his motion, Bellis acknowledged that the health problems the doctor outlined were “potentially serious." But, the judge continued, they weren’t serious enough for Jones to obey the doctor’s orders to stay home and rest, opting instead to keep broadcasting from his studio.

“Mr. Jones cannot unilaterally decide to continue to engage in his broadcasts, but refuse to participate in a deposition,” she wrote in her order denying his motion.

An attorney representing the Sandy Hook families suing Jones called the doctor’s note and the sickness claim “completely bogus.”

The “obvious gambit,” lawyer Christopher Mattei wrote in court documents, “represents yet another threadbare attempt to delay these proceedings and to shield Mr. Jones from an experience that puts him in peril — not because he is ill but because he will be under oath and bound to tell the truth.”

Mattei later denounced Jones’s bid for a delay as “a cowardly display intended to cheat the plaintiffs of their right to put him under oath and ask him questions,” Connecticut Public Radio reported.

Reis Thebault and Timothy Bella contributed to this report.