The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Highland Park shooting Police arrest ‘person of interest’ after gunman killed 6 at parade

Multiple people were killed and injured in a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Ill. on July 4. (Video: The Washington Post)
Placeholder while article actions load

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. — Police arrested a “person of interest” Monday evening, hours after six people were killed and dozens were injured in a Fourth of July parade shooting earlier in the day.

Robert E. Crimo III led police on a brief chase after they found him on a road before authorities arrested him “without incident,” Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen told reporters. Six people died and more than 40 people were hospitalized after a shooting at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade earlier Monday, authorities said.

Shortly after 10 a.m., as the parade in downtown Highland Park was three-quarters of the way done, the shooter began firing into the crowd from atop a building, seeming to target observers, until police approached, authorities say. The gunman escaped, leading law enforcement on a manhunt. A high-powered rifle was recovered by police.

Five people died at the scene, and one died at a hospital. As of 7:40 p.m. local time, hospital officials said seven people were still being treated at facilities in Highland Park and Evanston.

Video from the scene showed blood pooled on the sidewalk; nearby, chairs, toys and blankets were strewn, left behind in a chaotic escape from gunfire.

Here’s what else you need to know

  • Authorities in Highland Park and other area cities canceled their Fourth of July events in response to the shooting.
  • People sent to hospitals for treatment ranged in age from 8 to 85, medical workers said.
  • Highland Park is an affluent suburb about 25 miles north of Chicago’s downtown, along the shore of Lake Michigan.
11:57 p.m.
Headshot of Andrew Jeong
Reporter at the Seoul hub
Two patients are being treated at Highland Park Hospital and five are being treated at Evanston Hospital, said Jim Anthony, a spokesman for NorthShore University HealthSystem. Most of the dozens of injured people have been discharged.The hospital system is no longer on lockdown, Anthony said.