A man died after falling from an elevated walkway at Candlestick Park in San Francisco during Sunday’s game between the 49ers and the Green Bay Packers. Authorities have not identified the man, but they have said that several people saw him fall:

San Francisco police spokesman Gordon Shyy says multiple people witnessed the man’s fall onto a sidewalk from the Jamestown walkway, which goes around Candlestick.

According to police, witnesses say the man appeared intoxicated when he fell just after kickoff at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday in the 49ers’ 34-28 win over the Packers. Off-duty medics and police officers gave him first aid until an ambulance arrived, but the man was declared dead from his injuries.

Shyy says the man who appeared to be in his 30s suffered serious injuries. It was not immediately clear how many feet he had fallen.


The man fell just after kickoff, around 1:30 p.m. The game, in which San Francisco beat Green Bay 34-28, opened the 49ers’ final season at Candlestick Park, the Associated Press reports. A retail complex will replace the stadium next year, and the 49ers will move to a stadium in Santa Clara.

Last month, a fan died after falling outside Turner Field in Atlanta, where a baseball game between the Braves and the Philadelphia Phillies had been delayed by rain:

Connie Homer of Conyers, Georgia, said that her only son, 30-year-old Ronald Lee Homer Jr, told her in a cellphone call from the Braves’ Monday night game against the Philadelphia Phillies that rain was starting to let up and he was preparing to go back in the stadium. She said he ended the call in his typical way, telling his mother he loved her. She said her son did landscape work outside Atlanta.

An Atlanta police spokesman, John Chafee, said there was no indication of foul play, and the fall appears to have been an accident. It was at least the third time a sports fan has fallen from the stadium in Atlanta in about a year. The Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office on Tuesday identified the man and said an autopsy was planned.

Homer fell more than 60ft (18m), on to a parking lot. Witnesses described it as an accident. He died of his injuries at a local hospital. Chafee said he did not know if wet conditions or alcohol were factors in the incident. Heavy rains had led to a nearly two-hour delay of the game.

Associated Press

Also Sunday, two football fans were injured at a game in Indianapolis between the Colts and the Oakland Raiders. Neither was seriously injured, according to stadium officials.

See Mark Maske’s predictions for the football season that began this week in the gallery below.