Sailor kills two, self

at Pearl Harbor base

A U.S. sailor shot and killed two civilian Defense Department employees at the Pearl Harbor shipyard before taking his own life Wednesday, the military said.

The military didn’t immediately release a motive or identifying information about the sailor who opened fire at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. A third victim is in stable condition at a hospital. The shooting began at 2:30 p.m. Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam reopened following an hours-long lockdown.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige (D) said the White House has offered assistance from federal agencies.

The shipyard repairs, maintains and modernizes the ships and submarines of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which is headquartered at Pearl Harbor. The base is the home port for 10 destroyers and 15 submarines.

The shipyard is across the harbor from the Pearl Harbor National Memorial, which on Saturday will mark the 78th anniversary of the Japanese attack that propelled the United States into World War II. More than 2,300 Americans died in the attack on Dec. 7, 1941.

— Associated Press


Shooting injures one, locks down campus

Jackson State University’s campus was placed on lockdown Wednesday after someone on campus was wounded in a shooting, prompting an active-shooter alert.

A non-student was shot in the leg across the street from the student center, university spokesman L.A. Warren said. A university police officer at the scene confirmed to the Clarion Ledger that there was a single shooter, who also was not a student. The officer said one person was hurt and brought to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The university initially sent out a tweet telling everyone on campus to take shelter. It later said the lockdown had been lifted and there was no longer a threat.

The historically black university is west of downtown Jackson and has about 7,000 students.

— Associated Press

Carter leaves hospital: Former president Jimmy Carter was released from a hospital Wednesday after being treated for a urinary tract infection. Carter, 95, was discharged from Phoebe Sumter Medical Center in Americus, Ga., Carter Center spokeswoman Deanna Congileo said. Carter has overcome several health challenges in recent years. He was diagnosed with melanoma in 2015, announcing that the cancer had spread to other parts of his body. After partial removal of his liver, treatment for brain lesions, radiation and immunotherapy, he said he was cancer-free. A fall this year required him to have hip replacement surgery.

— Associated Press