Private jet crashes, hitting three homes

A private jet apparently experiencing mechanical trouble crashed Sunday in a northern Indiana neighborhood, resulting in injuries and striking three homes, authorities and witnesses said.

There was no immediate word of any deaths.

The Beechcraft Premier I twin-jet had left Tulsa’s Riverside Airport and crashed near South Bend Regional Airport, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Roland Herwig said.

“There was an indication of a mechanical problem,” Herwig said.

Injuries resulted from the crash, Herwig said, but he did not know if they occurred on the aircraft or on the ground. He did not know how many people were aboard the jet.

Some people were taken to hospitals, Assistant South Bend Fire Chief John Corthier said, but he did not know how many.

— Associated Press

Sporting-goods store gunman kills himself

Authorities outside Philadelphia have identified an armed man who barricaded himself inside the bathroom of a sporting-goods store and killed himself.

Bucks County Coroner Joseph Campbell said Sunday that Mark McCarpy, 58, of Levittown died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

Authorities say he entered Dick’s Sporting Goods in Fairless Hills after 7 p.m. Saturday and asked to see a shotgun and ammunition. McCarpy pulled out a handgun — later found to be unloaded — and ordered the worker to undo the shotgun’s gun lock. No one else was hurt.

— Associated Press

S.C. fire destroys 26 apartment buildings: A fast-spreading brush fire destroyed 26 buildings at an apartment complex in Myrtle Beach, S.C., displacing hundreds of residents. Officials determined that the fire started in a wooded area at power lines near the Waterford Plantation complex, but they had not determined what started the fire, said Scott Hawkins, a spokesman for the South Carolina Forestry Commission. It was unclear how many people were missing.

Two false bomb threats made at Newark airport: Authorities say an Israeli citizen and a northern New Jersey man made false bomb threats during separate incidents at Newark Liberty International Airport. The Newark Star-Ledger reported that the first incident occurred just before 10 a.m. Sunday. Authorities say Evan Hess, 44, of Tel Aviv became angry upon learning there were no available seats on his connecting flight, even though his checked bag was loaded onto the plane. He then allegedly claimed his bag had a bomb in it. In the other incident Sunday, Thomas Foley III, 35, of Hoboken, N.J., allegedly stated at a checkpoint that he had a bomb in his shoe. Both men were charged with making a false public alarm.

— Associated Press