Tulsa officers kill man, sparking protest

Law officers in Tulsa fatally shot a man while trying to pick him up for a mental health issue, triggering a street protest and a corresponding show of force by police in riot gear.

Police officer Leland Ashley says sheriff’s deputies were attempting to serve a pickup order Friday when the man walked away, to a nearby convenience store. Two deputies and a police officer opened fire after officers discovered that he was carrying two knives.

Dozens of people gathered and shouted expletives at the officers. Officers in riot gear responded after people in the crowd began throwing things, and the protesters later chanted “Hands up, don’t shoot.”

Friday’s shooting comes weeks after a jury acquitted a Tulsa police officer of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man.

— Associated Press

Polanski’s victim asks judge to drop case

Roman Polanski’s sexual assault victim asked a judge Friday to end the 40-year-old case against the fugitive director, but there was no indication her plea would bring an end to the lengthy court saga.

Samantha Geimer told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon that she wanted the case to end, either with a dismissal or by the judge sentencing Polanski without him being present. Polanski’s repeated requests for the same rulings have been denied.

Gordon said he would take Geimer’s comments into consideration and did not issue an immediate ruling.

Geimer, 54, described herself as more of a victim of the criminal justice system than of Polanski.

Geimer has long supported Polanski’s efforts to end the legal saga that limits his freedom, but Friday was the first time she’s appeared in court on his behalf, Polanski’s attorney Harland Braun said.

The Oscar-winner, now 83, has been a fugitive since he fled to France in 1978 on the eve of sentencing for having unlawful sex with a minor. Prosecutors dropped charges that he drugged, raped and sodomized Geimer when she was 13 years old.

— Associated Press

Man freed after 17 years in prison for robbery

A Missouri man who spent nearly 17 years in prison for a 1999 robbery was freed after supporters found another man who looked enough like him that the victim and other witnesses said they could no longer be sure who committed the crime.

Richard Anthony Jones, of Kansas City always maintained he didn’t commit the robbery and two years ago asked for help proving his innocence.

Lawyers for the Midwest Innocence Project and the Paul E. Wilson Defender Project at the University of Kansas took up his cause. At a hearing Wednesday in Johnson County District Court, they presented the other man and argued for Jones’s freedom. After the victim and witnesses withdrew their identification of Jones, Judge Kevin Moriarty ordered Jones’s release. Jones was released Thursday.

— Associated Press