Two schoolgirl suicide bombers killed 56 people and wounded dozens more in a coordinated attack on a crowded market in the northeastern Nigerian town of Madagali on Friday, a local official said.
The bombings bore the hallmark of Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which has been waging an insurgency in the northeast. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Yusuf Mohammed, chairman of the local district government, said the bombings killed 56 people and wounded 57.
Maj. Badare Akintoye, a spokesman for an army unit, said the attacks had been carried out simultaneously by two schoolgirls. Boko Haram has frequently targeted crowded areas in suicide bomb attacks.
A bomb blast killed six police officers and wounded three others in what was probably the deadliest assault targeting Egyptian security forces in Cairo in recent months, according to the country’s state-run news service.
The explosion occurred on Haram Street, a main road leading to Egypt’s famed Giza pyramids, according to the Middle East News Agency. It reported that the officers were targeted but provided no further details.
Egypt’s Interior Ministry, which oversees the police and security forces, said in a statement that the bombing took place near “two security points” and that security forces were deployed at the scene after the incident. It said three of those killed were officers.
News agencies said the officers were in two vehicles parked along the road at a checkpoint. Four civilians also were reported wounded by the explosion.
Later Friday, a recently emerged militant group called the Hasm Movement claimed responsibility for the attack. The group has said it seeks retribution for the military overthrow of the government of former president Mohamed Morsi and the violent crackdown that followed.
— Sudarsan Raghavan,
83 potential suspects in soccer abuse probe, British police say: Police overseeing a sex-abuse scandal in British soccer say 83 potential suspects have been identified and linked to 98 clubs. Officers across the country are sifting through 639 referrals received by police and a help line established last month, when former players started going public to say they were abused by coaches while on youth teams. The unidentified clubs are from across all levels of the game, “from Premier clubs through to amateur,” the National Police Chiefs Council said.
Ghana president concedes to opposition leader: Ghana’s longtime opposition leader Nana Akufo-Addo won the presidency on his third run for office, a race that was largely seen as a referendum on how the incumbent party has managed the economy in this long stable democracy. State broadcaster Ghana Television sent an alert that President John Mahama had conceded defeat in a telephone call that Akufo-Addo confirmed. The country’s election commission said Akufo-Addo received 53.8 percent of the vote, Mahama 44.4 percent.
South Sudan expels aid group’s director: South Sudan has expelled the country director of the Norwegian Refugee Council, the aid group announced. NRC spokeswoman Tuva Bognes also told the Associated Press that a staffer had been detained by South Sudan’s National Security Service after its officials came to the aid group’s offices in the capital, Juba, on Thursday. The group’s secretary general, Jan Egeland, gave no details in a statement but called the expulsion of Victor Moses “a serious setback to our humanitarian work.”
— From news services