Lori Bruno-Sforza claims the harassment began about three years ago. It included phone calls in the middle of the night, she alleged, and vulgar language.

She believed the culprit was a man named Christian Day, and she went to court with her accusations. Judge Robert Brennan this week sided with Bruno-Sforza, and issued a harassment prevention order against Day.

These types of cases aren’t that uncommon, really. Acquaintances get angry at each other, relationships sour, disputes end up in court. So what makes this one so notable?

Bruno-Sforza is a witch priestess, Day is a warlock, and Brennan is a District Court judge in Salem, Mass., a community made famous by its … well … rich witch-related legal history.

“How do I feel?” Bruno-Sforza told The Washington Post in a phone interview Thursday. “Justice is served.”

Day denies making the calls. “Here’s the thing,” said Day, also speaking to The Post, “I don’t know that the judge had much choice given the fact that there were dozens of television cameras in every direction, and who wants to seem like they’re ruling against a little old lady?”

He tweeted an upbeat tweet Wednesday night: “Truth is self evident. So is magic. Live, love, and rise above! Happy October everyone!”

Day, described on his Web site as “the world’s best-known warlock,” owns witchcraft shops in New Orleans and Salem, and is also involved in the Festival of the Dead, an annual event in Salem.

Bruno-Sforza, a psychic, owns Magika, a witchcraft store in Salem. In a hand-written affidavit, the 75-year-old woman accused Day of “speaking ill of me on the Internet” and repeatedly calling her from a private number in the early hours.

Dressed in head-to-toe black and adorned with rings, necklaces, and broaches, Bruno-Sforza said the harassment kept her up at night, made her fear for her store, and left her wondering if she would be physically attacked. The hearing took place three days before Halloween, which Brennan called a scheduling coincidence.
“I am a woman! I am not somebody’s footstool,” Bruno-Sforza yelled from the witness stand.

“It’s very clear to me what this is,” Day said. “I’m just going to have to ride this wave as best I can and continue to articulate my innocence because I am innocent. Did I made a snide comment or two on Facebook? Yes. That’s free speech.”

Day, 45, characterized the case as a business dispute, and denied making harassing calls.

“Someone who is innocent would always be disappointed in an injustice. And this is an injustice,” Day said. “This is not the fault of the judge. This is not the fault of me. This is the fault of a false allegation that is not true. I did not make those phone calls.”

Day’s attorney, Paul R. Moraski, said he took the case on at the last minute, because Day’s initial lawyer was out sick for Wednesday’s hearing. Moraski said his client plans to ask for a re-hearing, which will allow him to file a motion for Bruno-Sforza’s phone records.

“Courts see this type of nonsense all the time. … the only thing that’s unusual about it, in my opinion, is the amount of press it’s getting,” Moraski said. “But I guess I get it. Salem, witch trials. It’s Halloween.”