It’s that time of year again when Washington Winter in her full, frosted glory beckons us to take up glue guns, paint brushes and knitting needles to sew seeds from which spring’s marshmallow joy shall sprout. Hark! The Seventh Annual Peeps Diorama Contest is open!
To enter: Make a diorama of a famous scene rooted in history, pop culture or the musings of your fantastical mind. Load it with complex characters all of whom are played by Peeps, the sugary marshmallow candies you can read about here.
Make it spectacular.
What qualifies as spectacular? Explore Peeps of yore here:
1. Think of a scene. Get creative. Concoct Peeps puns that we haven’t thought of yet.
2. Make your diorama using a shoebox or comparable item of reasonable size. Don’t know how to make a Diorama? Let us Google that for you. After last year, we now have the Peepius Maximus rule that defines “reasonable size” as three feet wide by two feet deep by two feet tall. Anything larger will not fit in our elevators.
3. Take photos of your diorama from several angles. Then, upload two photos. Two photos are not required, but so strongly encouraged by our technology team that you cannot upload your entry without supplying two images. Think of it as a hint: please upload two photos. Your pictures must be in jpeg format. You will also be asked to provide:
a. Your name, age and hometown.
b. The names, ages and hometowns of anybody who contributed to the diorama.
c. A phone number and e-mail address (not for publication).
d. The title of your diorama
e. A description of its significance
If you do not supply this information, your Peeps will languish in anonymity on our internal website, in other words, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
If you have questions, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Peeps” in the subject line.
Through an intense judging process conducted by the staffs of The Washington Post Magazine and Style section, we’ll choose five finalists based on originality and execution. If you are among the chosen five, we will contact you to pick up your diorama via courier. We’ll photograph your work. We will announce our semi-finalists, finalists and winner in the Magazine on Sunday, March 31.
5. The winner will receive a $100 American Express gift check and a Peeps prize pack courtesy of Just Born. The four runners-up will each receive a $50 American Express gift check and Peeps prize pack.
6. The fine print: One entry per person. The five finalists must be residents of D.C., Maryland or Virginia and live within the D.C. Metro area. You must be 13 years old to enter. If you are under 13, please have a parent or guardian submit on your behalf. No purchase necessary. Employees of The Washington Post or their immediate families are not eligible to enter.