The Billboard Music Awards featured trophy winners, screaming fans and lots of performances — J.Lo danced, Chris Brown did a spinning jump kick, Nicki Minaj twerked with Lil’ Wayne — just to name a few. Here are five memorable moments from the show:
1. Miguel performed “Adorn” and debuted his wrestling moves when he tried to jump across a sea of fans, but fell just short and accidentally kicked one woman in the head. No worries, Miguel tweeted from backstage that the woman was OK!
got caught up in the moment, thank goodness Khyati is okay
— Miguel (@MiguelUnlimited) May 20, 2013
2. Biebes got booed. Justin Bieber performed twice during the show, first his new single “Take You” then again with Will. I. Am. on “#thatPOWER.” But when he got on stage to accept the fan-voted Milestone Award there were boos from the audience. He told the crowd: “I’m 19 years old – I think I’m doing a pretty good job. It should really be about the music and the craft that I’m making. This is not a gimmick. I’m an artist, and I should be taken seriously. All this other bull should not be spoken of.”
3. Taylor Swift continued to have the most fun anyone can have at an awards show. She danced in the front row with Selena Gomez, accepted the top award for Artist of the Year and performed “22” for the first time. The performance didn’t include any furry mascots, but there was an appearance from the Jabbawockeez.
4. Madonna looked fierce, but her nerves showed as she accepted the award for Top Touring Artist. After complaining about the height of her microphone and putting Will. I. Am to work holding her trophy and sunglasses, she managed to calm her shaking hands long enough to: make it through her list of thank yous, tell the world she has the best dancers and get in a zinger about how long it took to get approval to show her derriere in the opening montage.
5. Prince! Erykah Badu and Janelle Monae introduced the legend who accepted the Lifetime Achievement Award. Prince then performed a medley of “Let’s Go Crazy” and “FixUrLifeUp.”