The theme of the BET Awards 2013 was “Anything Can Happen.” Well, the anything turned out to be pretty tame. Host Chris Tucker told jokes. Chris Brown won the fan favorite award for the fourth year in a row. Ciara had a “Body Party.” Miguel kept his feet planted firmly on the stage. Even Nicki Minaj traded in her rainbow colored locks for a straight blonde bob.
What the show lacked in Twitter fodder it made up for in heartfelt tributes, entertaining performances, and many shameless plugs for upcoming movies. (“The Butler,” “Best Man Holiday,” “Fruitvale Station,” and “Think Like A Man 2” to name a few.) Here are few of the top moments:
1. The night might have been about music and movies, but current events weren’t forgotten. Don Cheadle dedicated the night to the ailing Nelson Mandela. “We want to take a moment and send our prayers and thoughts to a man who literally changed the world,” Cheadle said. Many referenced Trayvon Martin in their acceptance speeches and Jamie Foxx wore a shirt featuring a photo of Martin.
2. R. Kelly gave us all his greatest hits in one performance.
3. Jamie Foxx reminded everyone just how talented he is. Jamie Foxx won the award for Lead Actor for “Django Unchanged” then took the stage to perform with India Arie and Stevie Wonder during the tribute to Charlie Wilson, who accepted the Lifetime Achievement Award.
4. Speaking of First name Charlie, Last name Wilson, he offered the best performances of the night performing his solo hits and many of the Gap Band’s greatest hits with the help of Justin Timberlake, Pharrell and Snoop
5. If Apple was looking for inspiration for its next commercial, BET saved it the trouble. Curtis Fields, an early adopter in iPhone songwriting, took the stage and strummed his iPhone like a guitar.
6. And Kendrick Lamar solidified his status as the artist of the moment. The rapper took home the award for Best Male Hip Hop Artist, was part of the Best Collaboration and performed with Erkyah Badu and Miguel.