CBS News correspondent Lara Logan apologized again on “60 Minutes” on Sunday for her story that featured an alleged eyewitness to the terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya last year.
The apology was Logan’s second, following her admission on Friday that her Oct. 27 report on “60 Minutes” was mistaken because the alleged witness–British security contractor Dylan Davies–told investigators that he wasn’t near the compound when it was attacked on Sept. 11, 2012, leaving four Americans dead, including U.S. ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens.
Logan herself offered some unusually blunt public comments about the Benghazi attack last year that suggests she had a strong point of view about the events of Sept. 11, 2012. Speaking to a civic group in Chicago one month after the compound was assaulted, Logan scoffed at the Obama Administration’s initial statements about the incident as a spontaneous protest that spun into violence.
To applause from her audience, she advocated aggressive military action to “exact revenge” for the murders.
“When I look at what’s happening in Libya, there’s a big song and dance about whether this was a terrorist attack or a protest,” she told the Better Government Association’s annual luncheon. “And you just want to scream, ‘For God’s sake, are you kidding me?’”
In the same speech, the veteran foreign-affairs reporter talks at length about a 2012 “60 Minutes” story she reported from Afghanistan, in which she challenged American military claims about the weakening of al Qaeda and the Taliban. She told the civic group that the U.S. was backing away from the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan at a time when “our way of life is under attack.”
In a comment about her own reporting, she said in the speech, “There is a distinction between investigating something to find out what the real situation is and trying to prove something that you believe is true. And those are two very different things. The second, it was my boss Jeff Fager [chairman of CBS News and executive producer of “60 Minutes”] who kindly reminded me of that fact at a certain point in the process and he was absolutely right about that.”
CBS News declined to address Logan’s comments last year. A spokesman said in a statement, “As soon as we had confirmation of a problem with [the recent Benghazi] report on Thursday, we issued a statement to that effect; we then went on the air Friday morning to address it, correct it and apologize, spoke at length to media outlets about the matter and now have explained it to our audience in a correction on our broadcast.”
The full video follows below; Logan’s remarks about Benghazi come at roughly the 21:39 mark: