So yes, it’s nice to see the sparkle and sequins, the accolades and acceptance speeches — but the best part of every awards show is usually seeing the stars mess up. Sunday night was, predictably, no different: John Travolta butchered Idina Menzel’s (entirely pronounceable!) name, Benedict Cumberbatch annoyingly photobombed everyone within arm’s length, and can you even have a red carpet anymore if Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t fall down on it?
We are here to indulge your schadenfreude. Behold: GIFs and photos of the top 10 gaffes from Sunday night’s show.
1. J-Law fell down. Lawrence’s particular brand of un-self-conscious klutziness has made her the so-called “spirit animal” of millions of fans. But these falls are beginning to look premeditated. At least Ellen got some jokes out of them.
2. … J-Law hiked up. The actress also pulled her strapless dress up during a live interview, something most people’s mothers would instruct them to avoid on national television.
3. Julia Roberts lost it. This is also from the school of on-camera gaffes — what is she laughing at?
4. Benedict Cumberbatch photobombed Ellen. And U2. And who knows whom else. The line between juvenile and entertaining is, in both cases, rather thin.
5. Jared Leto photobombed Anne Hathaway at an after party, officially making 2014 the year of the celebrity photobomb.
6. Ellen DeGeneres messed with Liza Minnelli. DeGeneres’s joke that Minnelli looked like a female impersonator earned no laughs from the live audience, some backlash on Twitter, and lots of shade from Minnelli herself.
7. Kim Novak froze … while presenting the award for “Frozen,” no less. The 81-year-old actress’s stilted delivery may be less a gaffe and more a natural outcome of her age, but the Twitter pundits remain divided on that score.
8. Zac Efron gets aspirational. He was supposed to introduce Best Song nominee Karen O as an “inspiration,” but flubbed the first syllable.
9. Ellen DeGeneres botched her big tweet. DeGeneres’s record-breaking selfie tweet — which read “if only Bradley’s arm was longer” — should actually have said “if only Bradley’s arm were longer.” (Whoops!) And while we’re on the subject of selfies, DeGeneres took several throughout the evening. Maybe it’s time for Emily Post to weigh in on the etiquette of the distracting public selfie.
10. John Travolta butchered Idina Menzel’s name. In doing so, he gave birth to a brilliant parody Twitter account and months, maybe years, of disdain.
Better luck next year!
Film critic Ann Hornaday: The Oscars go according to plan
TV critic Hank Stuever: Happily wasting too much time at Ellen’s easy-does-it Oscars show
Full recap: Oscars 2014
Photos: Academy Awards 2014
Photos: The best moments from the Oscars
Full list: Winners and of nominees