Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

The day scores some points for rain-lovers and pollen-haters, but commuting is complicated.

Express Forecast

Today: Periods of rain. Highs: 65-69

Tonight: Showers. Lows: 53-58.

Tomorrow: Periods of showers and rain. Highs 68-72.


Radar & lightning:Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

A big Southern upper level low is grinding in our direction, throwing lots of moisture at us over the next few days.  The strong moist flow from the southeast means the heaviest rains should fall on the eastern slopes of the Appalachians where flood watches are in place currently.  Periods of rain today become more showery tonight and tomorrow, but showers may even linger into Thursday.  Friday is looking warmer and drier, but another cold front approaches to unsettle our weekend.

Today (Tuesday): Patchy fog and drizzle around this early morning.  Otherwise, periods of rain prevail through the day under mostly constant overcast and a brisk flow of winds from the east (10-15 mph with higher gusts at times).  The rain could be heavy at points, and we could see anywhere from .25″ to .75″, with heavier totals than that toward the foothills out west. Highs should range through the middle to upper 60s, but it will frequently be cooler during rainier periods. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Breezy with showers likely again as late night lows slip only slightly to the mid-to-upper 50s. We could manage another .25″ to .5″ of rain.  Winds are from the east again at around 10 mph, but sometimes a bit more. Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Wednesday): More showers likely, especially in the morning with mostly cloudy skies and breezy conditions again.  The air is still quite damp, so temperatures into the upper 60s and low 70s feel humid too.  Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Mostly cloudy skies with a continued 60% chance of showers (yes, we will all probably be sick of it by this point if not sooner!) with lows 52-57.  Confidence: Medium


Thursday should finally, finally see this upper level low lose its grip over the area.  We still have to contend with a 30% chance of showers under partly to mostly cloudy skies.  But temperatures make a bigger move up into the middle 70s.  For Thursday night, I’ll brave a call for no precipitation (!) with partly to mostly cloudy skies and lows in the middle to upper 50s.  Confidence: Medium

Friday is trending drier and warmer – all good things after our soaking this week.  Look for partly to maybe mostly sunny skies with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s.  This could be our first 80-degree temperature in May for most of us.  Friday night is partly cloudy most likely with lows ranging from the upper 50s to low 60s.  Confidence: Medium-High

The weekend is unfortunately shaping up to be complicated as a fairly potent late season cold front carves a path toward us (it doesn’t seem to care that we already had a 2-3 day soaking!)  We may be able to have a decent Saturday morning, but mostly cloudy skies dominate and showers/thunderstorms invade more likely Saturday afternoon into evening ahead of the cold front (60 percent likelihood).  Temperatures reach afternoon peaks in the mid-to-upper 70s, but could fade faster with rain. Scattered showers are expected Saturday night (40 percent risk) with the cold front coming through very late or early into Sunday as lows dip down to the middle or upper 50s.  Sunday turns breezy and partly cloudy, but we may manage to still get some lower 70s before the chillier air arrives Sunday night and Monday.  Confidence: Low-Medium