Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Time to slip into a lower gear as heat revs up. Finally some good beach weather!

Express Forecast

Today: Sunny, isolated late day t’storms. Highs: 90-94.

Tonight: Starry skies, moderate humidity. Lows: 62-71.

Tomorrow: Sunny, light breezes. Highs: 91-95.


Temperature Map

Temperatures:Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

This is a summer-bashing free zone today. I only institute this policy because, after the weekend’s chill, I’m more than ready to take the dog for a morning walk without a sweatshirt. More importantly, I know there is a nice break coming up next week with much cooler conditions. The trick is the transition on Sunday night when thunderstorms could be on the potent side.

Today (Thursday): Sunshine should be more non-stop much of the day. This bumps up our temps a tad with highs reaching the low-to-mid 90s. Fortunately, humidity holds in the moderate range. Add in a 5-10 mph breeze from the south and a shady spot is not bad at all. There is a small risk of a late day thunderstorm or two (10-20 percent chance). Confidence: High

Tonight: Since humidity levels are not oppressive, temperatures still drop off nicely in the evening with low-to-mid 80s by sunset, which is now closing in on 8:30 pm. Light breezes from the south are welcome. Lows drop to the low-to-mid 60s in the suburbs and upper 60s to lower 70s inside the beltway. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Friday): The only change from Thursday is an added degree or two of heat. The breeze out of the south is still a go and skies are bright blue with a smattering of puffy cumulus clouds by afternoon. Rain chances are close to nil. Highs are not quite in record territory but reach the low-to-mid 90s. Confidence: High

Tomorrow night: The sounds of the night should be in full force this evening, be it cicadas, crickets, frogs or just the neighbor’s dog. Evening readings will hang in the 80s with humidity levels still moderate enough to make being outdoors a good thing. Lows range from the mid-60s to the lower 70s. Confidence: High


Saturday continues our string of warmth, with readings running about 10 degrees above the average for this time of year. Highs reach the low-to-mid 90s. Time to find the pool or the beach! Clouds pop up with a little more vigor in the afternoon but rain chances are a paltry percent. The evening remains warm with 80s and overnight lows are mainly upper 60s to lower 70s. Confidence: High

Sunday starts out just like all the others this week with plenty of sun and quickly warming temperatures. However, a cold front gathering strength in the Ohio Valley should kick up more scattered clouds as the day progresses and a few of these could develop into thunderstorms by late afternoon (30 percent chance). Highs reach the upper 80s to lower 90s. The main line of storms should reach us overnight (70 percent likelihood) and if they are early enough could be borderline severe. Many areas should see a half inch to an inch of rain to grace the gardens. Lows fall to the 60s. Confidence: Medium

Monday shows that summer is not yet an immovable object. A 60 percent chance of morning showers/thunderstorms may give way to clearing by late afternoon but highs should only be in the upper 70s to lower 80s.   Confidence: Medium