The Washington Post

PM Update: A hot weekend that may end with a bang

Temperature Map

Temperatures:Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

For the third straight day we reached 90 or higher in D.C. (making it officially a heat wave), and we should extend the streak to 5 by Sunday. But Sunday evening a cold front plows into the region, setting up the likelihood of showers and thunderstorms and then cooler weather.

Through Tonight: Enjoyable weather to be out and about thanks to comfortably warm temperatures, moderate humidity levels and a gentle, soft breeze from the south. Temperatures fall back through the 80s and 70s this evening with lows by early morning near 70 downtown and mid-60s in the cooler suburbs. Skies are partly cloudy to mostly clear.

Tomorrow and tomorrow night (Saturday): The first day of meteorological summer brings typically summer-like weather. Under partly cloudy skies and moderate to high humidity levels, highs reach into the low 90s. Overnight lows fall from the mid-60s in the cooler suburbs to the low 70s downtown. Winds are light from the south.

Sunday: Hot and fairly humid with cloud cover bubbling up in the afternoon. Any afternoon thunderstorms tend to be isolated (20 percent chance) around town, with a few more out towards the mountains (30 percent chance). The main thrust of storms arrives in the evening and overnight (60-70 percent chance), and some of them could be on the strong side. Check forecasts throughout the weekend for updates.

See Camden Walker’s forecast into early next week. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter . For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock.

Pollen: Trees counts are MODERATE, grasses are HIGH, and weeds are LOW.

May 90+ degree streaks:  The streak of 3 days at or above 90 to close out this month ties (with 12 other years) for the 9th longest 90+ streak on record during May.  The longest streak of 90+ days during the month, dating back to the late 1800s, occurred in 1991 when seven such days lined up May 25-31. Full list via Southeast Regional Climate Center

Jason is the Washington Post’s weather editor and Capital Weather Gang's chief meteorologist. He earned a master's degree in atmospheric science, and spent 10 years as a climate change science analyst for the U.S. government. He holds the Digital Seal of Approval from the National Weather Association.
Show Comments
Most Read

At a Glance


52° /52°
Drop 100%


40° /50°
Drop 60%


43° /56°
Drop 70%


50° /55°
Drop 40%


37° /50°


33° /50°
National Airport

Right Now

Washington, D.C., Snow Tracker

Current Snow Total
Record Most Snow
Record Least Snow
(1997-98, 1972-73)
Last Winter's Snow Total

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low
Next Story
Jason Samenow · May 31, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.