The Washington Post

D.C. area forecast: Shower chances today, clearing for midweek, then turning unsettled

Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Digging the less hot temps, but morning, especially, may be a bit damp.

Express Forecast

Today: Mostly cloudy, chance of showers. Highs 78-83.

Tonight: Clearing, refreshing. Lows 53-62.

Tomorrow: Sunny, gorgeous. Highs near 80.


Radar & lightning:Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

It takes into this afternoon for a cold front to push far enough away for us to be finished with the shower threat. Tonight we welcome clearing skies and cooler, less humid air which sticks with us until Wednesday.  Thursday into the early part of the weekend turns unsettled with moist, humid air returning and the chance of intermittent periods of rain.

Today (Monday): Showers are possible this morning (40-60 percent chance), with the highest odds east of I-95.  This afternoon, clouds are slow to clear, and an isolated shower or thundershower is still a possibility (20-40 percent chance, highest odds east of 95).  The best chance of emerging sunshine is in the far western suburbs.  Highs are generally around 80, with a breeze from the north developing during the afternoon. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: Gradual clearing, less humid and cooler. You could consider turning off the air conditioning with lows in the low-to-mid 50s in the cooler suburbs to the low 60s downtown. Light winds from the north at 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Tuesday): A top notch day.   Lots of sunshine, a pleasant breeze, low humidity, but still warm enough for shorts.  Highs are near 80, with winds from the north at 10-15 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Mostly clear and delightfully cool.  Lows range from near 50 in the cooler suburbs to near 60 downtown. Confidence: Medium-High


Wednesday’s the second straight fine day, with partly to mostly sunny skies, relatively low humidity and highs near 80.  Humidity increases a bit Wednesday night, as does cloud cover, with lows in the upper 50s to mid-60s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Thursday and Friday are unsettled as a front stalls over the region with waves of low pressure riding along it.  This means an increase in cloud cover and humidity and the periodic opportunity for showers and thunderstorms, some of which may be locally heavy.  There may well be extended periods without rain.  Highs are generally around 80 with lows in the 60s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Unsettled weather may linger into the weekend, with mostly cloudy skies and the chance of showers and storms into Saturday. Highs Saturday are probably near 80. Perhaps some partial clearing Saturday night with lows in the 60s. High pressure may try to build back into the region Sunday bringing some more sunshine and seasonably warm temperatures in the low 80s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Jason is the Washington Post’s weather editor and Capital Weather Gang's chief meteorologist. He earned a master's degree in atmospheric science, and spent 10 years as a climate change science analyst for the U.S. government. He holds the Digital Seal of Approval from the National Weather Association.
Show Comments
Most Read

At a Glance


-- /49°
Drop 90%


48° /60°
Drop 100%


45° /53°


38° /50°


35° /52°


35° /54°
National Airport

Right Now

Washington, D.C., Snow Tracker

Current Snow Total
Record Most Snow
Record Least Snow
(1997-98, 1972-73)
Last Winter's Snow Total

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low
Next Story
Brian Jackson · June 2, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.