Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Another day. More humidity. Another chance for showers/storms. Pointless to complain anymore.

Express Forecast

Today: Partly sunny, chance of showers and storms. 86-91.

Tonight: Partly cloudy. 66-72.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny, chance of showers and storms. 87-92.


Radar & lightning:Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

We caught a break from rain chances last Thursday through Saturday, and that’s the only break we may get for a while. The wet pattern has reloaded offering daily chances for showers and storms.  Temperatures may take a modest step back by the weekend.

Today (Monday): Skies are mostly cloudy, with occasional sunnier intervals. I’ll call for a 40 percent chance of showers and storms, anytime from the morning into the late afternoon.  Temperatures are a hair cooler than they were over the weekend, with highs in the upper 80s to around 90 (humidity levels are moderate-to-high, dew points 66-71). Winds are from the west at 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: I’m optimistic that we dry out for the evening hours and you may even notice a slight drop-off in humidity levels (dew points in the mid-60s). Skies are partly cloudy overnight, with lows in the upper 60s in some of the cooler suburbs to low 70s downtown. Light winds from the west. Confidence: Medium-High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Here we go again: partly sunny, hot and humid, with a 30 percent chance of afternoon and evening showers and storms.  Highs are around 90 or into the low 90s.  Winds are very light offering no relief from mugginess, out of the southwest at around 5 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: A few evening storms are possible (30 percent chance). Then we have our characteristic D.C. July summer night: Lows 70-75 (suburbs-city) and a healthy serving of humidity.  Light winds. Confidence: Medium-High


Heat and humidity smack us in the face yet again Wednesday, but we may catch a break from showers and storms during the day (when there’s just a 20 percent chance). Highs are in the low 90s under partly to mostly sunny skies. Wednesday evening and overnight, we have a better chance of showers and storms (chances increasing to 50 percent) as a cold front approaches, with lows 70-75. Confidence: Medium

Thursday through Saturday a cold front moves into the region and sits, dropping temperatures a little, but serving as the focus for possible daily showers and storms.  This stretch is not a wash-out with likely dry/sunnier intervals, but periods of heavier rain/storms are a possibility. Thursday and Friday bring the highest chances of showers and storms (60 percent) with odds falling a bit by Saturday (40 percent).  Highs each day are generally in the low-to-mid 80s but humidity levels hold in the high range. Confidence: Medium

By Sunday, the sluggish front that plagued us Thursday through Saturday may have moved far enough to the east that we get a drier day, but I still can’t eliminate the chance of showers/storms (20 percent). Highs are likely in the mid-to-upper 80s with partly cloudy skies.

For the entire Friday through Sunday period, we need to keep an eye on tropical storm Chantal – which could be nearing the southeast U.S. coast. We will have a post on this later this morning.