The Washington Post

D.C. area forecast: Week to start and end beautifully; The middle? Meh.

Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

An outstanding day; -1 for falling on a Monday and late day high clouds.

Express Forecast

Today: Mostly sunny, high clouds late. Highs near 80.

Tonight: Increasing clouds, slight shower chance late. Low 60-65.

Tomorrow: Variably cloudy, scattered showers. Highs near 80.


The week is book-ended by marvelous weather, beginning with today’s gem.  The mid-week period is less than stellar with escalating humidity levels and periodic showers.  A cold front tries to dispense with the sticky, showery weather  late Friday.  Right now, the coming weekend looks quite promising.

Today (Monday): An invigorating – even chilly – morning in spots, with many of us starting the day in the 50s.  Sunshine quickly lifts temperatures through the 60s and into the 70s by noon.  Afternoon highs are in the upper 70s to around 80, as a milky layer of high clouds trickles in.  Winds are light, mainly from the north at around 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Skies turn mostly cloudy as the night wears on and the air loses its crispness.  By the pre-dawn hours, a few light showers are possible (20 percent chance), with overnight lows 62-66 (suburbs-city). Winds become out of the south at 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Tuesday): A warm front pushes through the region with a 50 percent chance of showers, perhaps a thundershower in the afternoon.  The day is more frequently dry than wet, though. Skies are variably cloudy as the humidity rises and highs near 80.  Winds are from the south around 10 mph. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Showers and thundershowers are possible (50 percent chance), especially in the evening.  It’s now officially muggy, with overnight lows in the upper 60s to around 70. Confidence: Medium


The kind of weather you would expect in D.C. in early August is back Wednesday and Thursday. Both days are quite humid and, depending on available sunshine, also quite warm. The amount of sun is predicated on the position of a stalled front.  If it’s over us, it’s cloudier and not as hot, but wetter (60 percent chance of showers and storms).  It it’s more to our north, it’s warmer, with somewhat lower rain chances (40 percent chance of showers and storms). I’ll split the difference and call for variably cloudy skies with 50 percent chance of mostly afternoon and evening storms.  Day time highs are mostly in the mid-80s, with overnight lows near 70. Confidence: Medium

Friday brings the arrival of a cold front and likely showers and storms (60 percent chance).  It’s warm and humid ahead of the front, with highs in the mid-to-upper 80s.  After possible evening storms, slow clearing Friday night, with lows in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

My working assumption for the weekend is that Friday’s front pushes far enough south to bring drier, sunny weather back into the region.  If the front gets hung up over us, the forecast necessarily changes.  Right now, both days look pretty good with partly to mostly sunny skies, low-moderate humidity and highs in the mid-80s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Jason is the Washington Post’s weather editor and Capital Weather Gang's chief meteorologist. He earned a master's degree in atmospheric science, and spent 10 years as a climate change science analyst for the U.S. government. He holds the Digital Seal of Approval from the National Weather Association.
Show Comments
Most Read

At a Glance


19° /24°


10° /24°


19° /32°
Drop 70%


32° /46°
Drop 80%


32° /45°


26° /39°
National Airport

Right Now

Washington, D.C., Snow Tracker

Current Snow Total
Record Most Snow
Record Least Snow
(1997-98, 1972-73)
Last Winter's Snow Total

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.