Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Humidity hangs in there but just enough sun to brighten the day without making it too hot.

Express Forecast

Today: Morning fog burns off but clouds remain plentiful. Highs: 83-87.

Tonight: Clearing and calm. Lows: 64-69.

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny, only slightly less humid. Highs: 84-88.


Clouds: Latest mid-Atlantic infrared satellite shows movement of clouds over past two hours. Refresh page to update. See more maps on our Weather Wall.

Other than some patchy fog, today is relatively unremarkable. The last weekend of summer, at least by civilian and meteorological standards, lives up to its name. As heat builds, so does humidity. With the muggier air comes an increasing chance of thunderstorms, mainly on Sunday and Monday. So enjoy your beach/pool time early this long weekend. As for a good soaker, the best bet is on Monday night as the first in a series of cold fronts next week introduces us to fall in fine fashion.

Today (Thursday): Patches of fog look unavoidable in the morning so drivers be cautious. Warming temps should burn off the fog by midday and occasional glimpses of the sun should be on the increase as the afternoon progresses. Highs should reach the mid-to-upper 80s. Winds are light from the north. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Breezes die out at sunset and clouds gradually disappear, leaving a starlit night to enjoy with evening readings in the upper 70s. Overnight lows park in the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Friday): A breezeless day should make highs in the mid-to-upper 80s along with a respectable amount of humidity a little more painful but certainly a classic summer day. High pressure keeps rain chances nil which should help all of you running off for a long weekend somewhere. Confidence: High

Tomorrow night: Quiet times are on tap with evening readings in the upper 70s to lower 80s under starry skies with barely a breath of breeze. Lows fall to the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: High


Saturday should delight pool/beach crowds as well as most of the outdoor crew with plenty of sun and highs in the mid-to-upper 80s yet again. Humidity is noteworthy so don’t get carried away sports fans and speaking of that, local college football games should be in good shape with minimal rain threats. However, there is likely to be another thunderstorm complex riding along the edge of the ridge that could arrive by evening (20% chance) so keep an eye on the radar to the northwest. Overnight lows are upper 60s to lower 70s.  Confidence: Medium

Sunday has much better chance for being showery (40%) as the disturbance coming down from the Great Lakes is most likely to arrive during the day. This at least keeps highs from getting out of hand with mainly mid-80s likely unless the system busts and then 90 would be the more likely outcome. Overnight lows hold in the low-to-mid 70s. Confidence: Medium

Labor Day (Monday) is likely to make most of us happy that summer is coming to an end. There should be enough sun to give much of the area a shot at 90 for a high, and humidity levels are approaching painful. A strong cold front moving in from the west is likely to set off thunderstorms (60%) later in the day. Let’s just hope they are late enough to allow most travelers to get home without delay. Confidence: Low-Medium

Beachcast: Temperatures look great, ranging from the lower 80s in south Jersey and Delaware beaches to upper 80s in southern Virginia and North Carolina. Lows are uniformly in the upper 60s to lower 70s. Rain chances are minimal until Sunday when New Jersey and the Delaware/Maryland beaches have a 40% chance of showers with that shifting to VA/NC beaches on Sunday night. Monday everyone has a 60% chance of storms but with a little luck they will be mainly frontal driven and hold off until evening.