Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Wow, we’ve earned this after the past week; wish it would stay around a bit longer though

Express Forecast

Today: Mostly sunny. Highs: 70-74.

Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy. Lows: 50-58.

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy.  Highs: 71-75.


Mother Nature’s Nice Day furlough finally ended as the sunshine broke through the cloudy impasse Monday. Today, it’s bright, sunny skies rather than dark clouds hanging over Washington, D.C. Unfortunately, the enlightenment is brief. Clouds make a gradual midweek comeback ahead of an approaching cool front Thursday, with rain possible late.  The silver lining is that the clouds/rain are not expected to shutdown our weekend with sunnier weather now favored.

nice day
Today (Tuesday):  You may need a light jacket this morning as temperatures climb their way out of the 40s (outer suburbs) and 50s (city) during the morning commuting period.  Excellent conditions then take control with low humidity, mostly sunny skies, and a warm afternoon as temperatures move into the low to maybe middle 70s.  Breezes are light and not bothersome with light winds from the east at around 5 mph.  Confidence: High

Tonight: Light breezes remain comfortable and clouds gradually rebuild over the area to lead to slightly warmer overnight lows, mainly ranging through the comfortable 50s. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Wednesday):  Cloudy skies should dominate, but we may sneak a brief peek at the sun every once in a while.  Conditions are still warm with highs in the lower to middle 70s thanks to a light breeze (5-10 mph) from the south.  Confidence: High

Tomorrow night: Cloudy conditions continue with lows in the middle to upper 50s along with light winds. Confidence: Medium-High


Thursday is partly to mostly cloudy as the cold front closes in on the area.  Temperatures stay warmer with early to middle afternoon temperatures in the lower to middle 70s again.  Conditions may start to cool a bit faster in the later afternoon due to the frontal passage along with a 30% chance of showers.  A wave of energy along that cold front offers a better likelihood of rain Thursday night (70%), especially after midnight with some moderate rain possible. Lows drop to the low to middle 50s. Confidence: Medium

Friday may see some morning showers yet, especially around rush hour, but we should manage to gradually clear out skies for a partly to mostly sunny day.  The dew points should start dropping down into the much drier 40s by midday and afternoon so that the upper 60s to low 70s will feel even more comfortable.  Friday night may just see a few clouds around as lows drop down through the 40s in most areas except for the low 50s right in the city. Confidence: Medium

The weekend has been upgraded to a nice scenario as the guidance has emerged with better agreement on a cool, dry pattern.  Highs should range through the middle to upper 60s under partly to mostly sunny skies.  Lows Saturday night should be in the cool 40s even in the typically warmer city.  Confidence: Medium