The Washington Post

D.C. area forecast: Milder temps spring back but showers lurk late weekend

Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

After the last two days of chill, today’s modest warm up should be a pleasant return of normalcy.

Express Forecast

Today: Sunny, light breezes. Highs: 53-57.

Tonight: Starry, calm. Lows: 27-35.

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny and dry. Highs: 58-62.


Temperature Map

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

Things are looking up, especially the temperature as more typical readings return for the next three days. It gets even warmer later in the weekend but at a price; shower chances begin to increase Sunday, but the main rains should hold off until Monday. We won’t talk about another wintry blast behind that. Instead let’s focus on a generally nice weekend ahead (leaf blower racket notwithstanding).

Today (Thursday): The day starts off frosty enough but the sun gets more respect and highs climb to the mid-50s. Breezes from the southwest are only 5-10 mph so chilling effects are minimal. Quite a turn around from the past two days! Confidence: High

Tonight: The stars are in control of the heavens as high pressure keeps the skies clear. The nearly calm winds allow evening readings to slip to the 40s given the earlier and earlier sunsets. Lows still chill with upper 20s to lower 30s except for mid-30s downtown. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Friday): The sun is again without challenge to start the day but expect scattered clouds to show up and gradually thicken in the afternoon. Highs still do quite well with most areas in the upper 50s to lower 60s. Winds are minimal. Confidence: High

Tomorrow night: While clouds are prevalent, the advantage is readings drop off much more slowly so evening denizens are treated to 50s for a change. Winds remain calm and lows end the night in the upper 30s to lower 40s; mid-40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High


Saturday is a great day to be out and about. Clouds are likely to be variable through the day but the sun still has plenty of face time and it shows. Highs reach the lower 60s in nearly all areas. Moister air begins slipping north across the area overnight but rain chances are minimal. Hopefully the clouds will not obscure the full moon, called the “frost moon” or “beaver moon”, although I suspect most of us will see neither on this night! Look for lows to be no worse than upper 40s to lower 50s.  Confidence: Medium

Sunday is a trickier call as the moist air funneling up ahead of a significant Midwest storm is unstable enough to set off a smattering of showers (40% chance) during the day. My bet is that there will still be plenty of breaks and highs should make low-to-mid 60s. Chances for showers increase to 60% overnight but any substantial rain amounts will wait until Monday. Overnight lows are comfy with mid-to-upper 50s prevalent.  Confidence: Low-Medium

Monday looks like a much easier call with another monster cold front poised to head into the area by late afternoon and a surge of rains by midday looks very likely (90% chance). Strong south winds manage to push highs to the mid-to-upper 60s despite the overcast skies. Rain amounts of one-half to one inch look like a good bet to brighten up all those newly planted pansies and cabbages. Confidence: Medium

David Streit grew up on a farm/ranch in Nebraska. Witness to severe weather of all varieties focused his career path. Degrees from the universities of Nebraska and Wisconsin prepared him to be a forecaster for Capital Weather Gang as well as his day job as COO of Commodity Weather Group.
Show Comments
Most Read

At a Glance


52° /66°
Drop 40%


48° /51°
Drop 60%


39° /48°
Drop 60%


46° /56°
Drop 70%


53° /57°
Drop 50%


43° /51°
National Airport

Right Now

Washington, D.C., Snow Tracker

Current Snow Total
Record Most Snow
Record Least Snow
(1997-98, 1972-73)
Last Winter's Snow Total

D.C. Area Almanac

Avg. High
Avg. Low
Rec. High
Rec. Low
Next Story
Ian Livingston · November 13, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.