Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Clouds and chill keep a dismal feel, but at least maybe a few snowflakes

Express Forecast

Today: Mostly cloudy. Snow/rain showers. Highs: 38-43.

Tonight: Clouds, mainly evening snow showers. Lows: 25-32.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs: 39-44.


Radar & lightning: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Change is a constant in this forecast as we see a chilly day today with a few scattered snow showers, adjusting to more sunshine tomorrow. Then warmer temperatures arrive Thursday, followed by much warmer temperatures Friday into the weekend ahead of a massive cold front grinding its way toward us.  For now, Sunday is looking wetter than Saturday, but both days join Friday in making a run at 60 or more degrees – the warmest weather since early December.

Today (Tuesday): A pair of disturbances dominate our weather picture today.  Mainly early morning snow showers around the area should be mostly found along the northern tier with perhaps a dusting or coating, especially from the Frederick area northeast to near the Mason Dixon line.  Only a 30% chance of snow showers around the immediate D.C. area with little or no accumulation.  Skies should remain mostly cloudy most of the day with highs in the cold upper 30s to low 40s as light winds are variable.  Another chance of snow showers (could be a snow/rain mix around the city and points south and east) emerges by late afternoon toward evening (40% for DC and surrounding suburbs), but temperatures should be too warm to allow for accumulation.  Confidence: Medium

Snow Potential Index

A daily assessment of the potential for *accumulating* snow for the next week on a 1-10 scale.

1 (→) Some snow showers possible in the morning and evening, but 1″ of snow a long shot.

Tonight: A 40% chance of snow showers throughout the area with a chance of a dusting across colder areas well north and west of the city.  Lows dip into the middle 20s to low 30s very late at night toward dawn assuming we clear out most of these clouds, with warmest levels in the District as usual.  Winds pick up a bit from the west at 5-10 mph.  Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Partly sunny skies with still cold temperatures around in the upper 30s to low 40s.  Winds are mainly from the west at 10-15 mph.  Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Skies turn more clear, allowing for potentially the coldest night of this week.  Lows dip into the low 20s in the outer suburbs and mid-to-upper 20s in the city.  Light winds.  Confidence: Medium-High


Thursday is favored to be mostly sunny and warmer with highs surging into the lower 50s.  Mostly clear and warmer Thursday night with lows dropping into the 30s.  Confidence: Medium-High

Friday is another day of bigger warming with partly sunny skies as highs rise to the upper 50s and low 60s.  Increasing clouds Friday night with lows in the 40s.  Confidence: Medium

The weekend can be simplified as warm and, on occasion, wet. It seems like the wettest weather may hold off until late Sunday.  Partly to mostly cloudy skies on Saturday with a 40% chance of mainly afternoon showers as highs again surge into the 60s.   Saturday night is mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers again as lows only drop into the mild 50s.  A mostly cloudy Sunday currently takes aim at the 60s as well.  There’s a better chance (60%) of afternoon and especially evening showers and  as the cold front nears. We can’t even rule out thunderstorms.  Confidence: Medium