- Snow starts tonight between 7 and 9 p.m. south to north across the region
- Snow falls heavily tonight, with 4-8 inches of accumulation by 7 a.m. Locally heavier amounts are possible.
- Near I-95 (within 15 miles) and points east, snow likely mixes with and changes to sleet and freezing rain Thursday morning, between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. from east to west. Locations near the Chesapeake Bay and southern Maryland may turn to plain rain.
- From western Fairfax County and western Montgomery county (from roughly Gaithersburg to Oakton to Manassas) and points west, precipitation remains mostly snow during the day, although some sleet could mix in at times, especially during the morning. Another 4-6 inches of accumulation are possible.
- In the afternoon, areas getting mixed precipitation may turn back to snow, with light additional accumulations of 1-2″ possible. However, how heavy the snow is in this second round and whether temperatures are cold enough for more meaningful accumulation is uncertain.
February 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM EST