Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

A gusty afternoon breeze just can’t knock the nice out of this day’s wonderful warmth.

Express Forecast

Today: Mainly sunny and warm, gusty p.m. breeze. Highs: 79-84.

Tonight: Increasing clouds late, mild. Lows: 57-62.

Tomorrow: Partly to mostly cloudy, gusty breeze. Highs: 75-79.


Temperature Map

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

While today’s record high at National of 90F is safe, most of the area should at least crack the 80-degree mark today, making it feel more like June. After highs well into the 70s tomorrow, our warmth is but a fond memory by Wednesday morning when colder spots may be treated to a late-season frost. Before then, a cold front likely obscures our chance to see a total lunar eclipse early Tuesday morning, but should bring some welcome rains to daffodil bedecked gardens. The cherry blossoms could be whisked away in short order as winds are gusty for the first half of this week.

nice day

Today (Sunday): The day starts mild and keeps right on warming under mostly sunny skies. Highs peak in the upper 70s to low 80s. The only real flaw in the forecast is an increasing wind, around 15 mph from the south during the afternoon with gusts to near 30 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: The evening is superb for being out and about with 70s the rule. The night starts out star-filled but could end up cloud-filled. Lows in the upper 50s to low 60s means that by morning some spots could be flirting with record high minimum temperatures for the date. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Monday): While some intervals of sun are possible, especially in the morning, increasing clouds race overhead as the day goes on. Winds are off to the races again as well, coming from the south around 10-15 mph and gusting to near 30 mph. Thanks to the warm start to the day, the clouds can’t keep highs from reaching the mid-to-upper 70s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Showers are possible by evening (30% chance) and then likely overnight (70% chance). The thickening clouds obscure the full “Paschal” moon, but more notably keep the first total lunar eclipse since 2010 from view. Lows are mild with upper 50s to low 60s, which again would be near record high levels for the date. Confidence: Medium-High


Tuesday is likely to be a wet one with significant rains a good bet as a strong cold front crosses the area. Unfortunately the heaviest downpours (maybe a rumble of thunder) may be timed just right for a nasty afternoon commute, though that’s hard to pinpoint this far out. Rain amounts potentially in the 0.5-1″ range would make gardeners happy as it’s been a while since we’ve had a good soaking. Highs should only reach the mid-to-upper 60s. Strong winds from the south become even stronger from the northwest by evening and rains should diminish by around midnight. Tuesday night lows drop dramatically to the mid-to-upper 30s, with frost possible northwest of the city if winds calm fast enough. Confidence: Medium

Wednesday sees the return of the sun but it is challenged by notably colder air over the region. Highs likely top out only in the 50s. A clear, calm night follows, and there is the notable risk that the suburbs see a light freeze. Wednesday night lows range from the low 30s in the outer burbs to upper 30s downtown, brrr! Confidence: Medium

Thursday recovers but still falls short of average highs for this time of year, with temperatures probably peaking in the upper 50s to low 60s. No complaints though as sunshine should be abundant and winds light. Confidence: Medium